Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Do They Make Such An Upper??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I think JD and Slo have pretty much summed up the recoil issue. With the 5.56's mild recoil, any change in the length of the gas system to reduce recoil would be hard to pick up on. From an A1 to a CAR, you would probably notice a minor difference, but the majority of that difference would be attributed to weight.

If you want to go with a CAR length barrel and a mid length free float tube with the gas block underneath, the cheapest and easiest way is to get the CAR upper and the mid length tube (YHM calls their's a "Spector"). If you're handy, even a little, a hacksaw and file can be used to remove the front sight tower from the factory gas block/ tower assembly. Smooth it out with the file and the tube will slide right on. If you want a front sight, YHM makes one that mounts on the tube. That's how I set up my 16" barreled coyote rifle, but it's scoped so I didn't add a front sight. Just a thought.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 09-08-2008, 09:50 PM   #22

I have taken both my ARs to the range the last couple of trips. One a 16" midlength and the other a 14.5" Carbine with pinned FH (toget legal 16" length).

I run the same ammo through both of them and sight in with the same combo of rounds as well. I use Black Hills to sight in and then plink with cheap Monarch. I run equal amounts through both.

Each run 9mm RRA buffers.

The midlength has less kick and has never short stroked even with the cheap Monarch. It's also the cleaner of the two when it comes time to clean.

I'm a Middy fan. The only negative on the Middy I have is that it's HBAR and a bit heavy, but for me the weight is not an issue.

Not sure why the OP wants a 1/9 twist. The RRA I have has the 1/9. Bravo Company sometimes sells 1/7 twist uppers and CMMG does as well. You will pay more for the CMMG, but then again they have the Med-Con option as well as the HBAR. Pretty sure the RRA was the cheapest of the bunch. 1/7 is the better option in eth fat you can run a 77grn bullet, but realistically I am happy with my 1/9 and 55-66grn bullet choices.

Most middys are 16". I like this option as it allowed me to change the flash hide to something more evil. Only reasonably priced shorter middy would be the CMMG in 14.7".

Here's my 16" with "evil" FH and bolt on FSB.

If you just want the added sights, you can run a CAR15 and a bolt on Sight base and under gaurd gas block to get a more "Dissapator" look/feel.

Last edited by balloo93; 09-08-2008 at 09:54 PM.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcreep927 View Post
JD-
I oughta just let you ask for me

I think his search to meet the criteria would go high and low, specifically the mid length one. I wasn't quite sure if it was mid length handguard or gas system being sought. I have seen a lot of hype about the mid length gas system improving function over the standard CAR length sytem. I am positively and firmly convinced that the CAR system is fine IF it is properly assembled. Save serious heavy full auto, I've never seen a properly assembled CAR system have problems due to the inherent design in the shorter system. It's usually been a component of the system. Loose carrier keys and damaged or mis-aligned gas tubes primarily. Chased a feeding problem for months only to find the gas tube roll pin was the wrong size. 13 cents later it was fine.

I assumed that the quest for a "ban compliant" upper meant probably no F/A.

So, I would second your comment about putting what he wants on it later. I have a YHM mid length f/f tube on my patrol rifle and love it.

Another plug for Model 1 Sales: they offer all of their uppers in "ban compliant" configuration with a recessed crown. Because God (and leftist fruit loops) know that flash hiders are deadly in their own right!

actually, i feel the mid-length gas systems are less harsh, on your weapons, nothing wrong with a carbine gas, but the pressures are way higher.
more wear n' tear... [but heck ? they've worked for 50 years.]

myself, and this is only my opinion.. and you'll get what you paid' for my opinion..

i chose a middy gas system for my ''dissy''. works awsome, about as smooth as my service rifle,

having said that... im dying to tryout a rifle gas, dissy.

pretty sure that'll be my next project.

peabody

Old 08-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #24

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 942

Peabody, you are a master dredger!

Old 08-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 200 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Noveske.

Noveske Rifleworks, LLC. Precision Battle Weapons. NoveskeRifleworks.com

Old 08-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just checked the DelTon web site. They kind of have what you want in a 16" Midlength but the muzzle is threaded.

I would either give them a call to see if they could make one without a threaded barrel or do what I did on my Bushmaster M4 ORC. On my Bushmaster I removed my flash hider and replaced it with a Schuster Knurled Thread Protector.

Larry

Old 08-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #27

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Thread is dead guys...OP hasn't been seen in these parts for a year or more...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-21-2010, 04:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry in SD View Post
I just checked the DelTon web site. They kind of have what you want in a 16" Midlength but the muzzle is threaded.

I would either give them a call to see if they could make one without a threaded barrel or do what I did on my Bushmaster M4 ORC. On my Bushmaster I removed my flash hider and replaced it with a Schuster Knurled Thread Protector.

Larry

hi larry !!!!!!

im sure glad you got to try out that levang comp !!!

peabody