Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Do They Make Such An Upper??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2008, 06:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Do They Make Such An Upper??

I just recently got the itch to buy an ar-15. I have been doing alot of research through google and many times it has led me here to this forum in which I have aquired alot of useful info.

I am looking for a certain upper that is AWB compliant but i can not find it anywhere. Here is what im looking for:

flat top receiver
16 inch barrel (lightweight or heavy)
chrome lined
midlength (not car or standard)
1/9 twist
recessed or 11 degree target crown
no permanent muzzle device
no stainless steel

Does anyone know where i might find one of these? If I left anything else out you might need to know please ask.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-30-2008, 12:47 PM   #2

Ar uppers/lowers are only limited by your imagination, and your budget. A simple search like ar-15 parts is a place to start. Or go to ar-15.com, another place to look if you like to do your own is model1sales, there are a lot of kit sites, if you can type it in, you can find it. blue

Old 08-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #3

I have put many hours into searching, but I have come up with nothing. I have been able to find two uppers that meet my criteria except they are NOT mid-length.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:46 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Greetings Smitty03 - Welcome to the Forum.

My first question is this: Do you want to build one? Or outright purchase one?

When you say you are looking for just an upper, and you want a target crown, but you only want a 16" barrel - what will the application be for the platform?

Normally the 16" barrels all come with either a flash hider or the famous "barrel shroud".

Target crowns are very comon, but more on varmint, long range shooting applications. Thus, you see them commonly on longer 20" or so barrels.

Here is my first build, it features an A4 upper, a 17 inch GI Chrome Lined barrel with target crown and a Yankee Hill Machine free floated fore-end.

Is this kind of the application that you are looking at adding?

JD

Old 08-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty03 View Post
I just recently got the itch to buy an ar-15. I have been doing alot of research through google and many times it has led me here to this forum in which I have aquired alot of useful info.

I am looking for a certain upper that is AWB compliant but i can not find it anywhere. Here is what im looking for:

flat top receiver
16 inch barrel (lightweight or heavy)
chrome lined
midlength (not car or standard)
1/9 twist
recessed or 11 degree target crown
no permanent muzzle device
no stainless steel

Does anyone know where i might find one of these? If I left anything else out you might need to know please ask.
RRA makes what you're looking for and then some, but they cost anywhere from $480-$600 depending on the options.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-30-2008, 03:32 PM   #6

Just curious as to why you specified a mid length? Aesthetics or function?

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 08-30-2008, 03:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty03 View Post
I have put many hours into searching, but I have come up with nothing. I have been able to find two uppers that meet my criteria except they are NOT mid-length.
By Mid Length, are you talking about the fore end? Or did you find barrel length that met your visual criteria, but were longer than 16" ?

If it's the fore end you can remove the fore end rather easily and install whatever size you want. If you want a short fore end, no problem, want to change over to a full length, no problem. Would probably take you about 5 minutes.

Looks like we need some more info to get you pointed in the right direction.

JD

Old 08-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #8

JD-
I oughta just let you ask for me

I think his search to meet the criteria would go high and low, specifically the mid length one. I wasn't quite sure if it was mid length handguard or gas system being sought. I have seen a lot of hype about the mid length gas system improving function over the standard CAR length sytem. I am positively and firmly convinced that the CAR system is fine IF it is properly assembled. Save serious heavy full auto, I've never seen a properly assembled CAR system have problems due to the inherent design in the shorter system. It's usually been a component of the system. Loose carrier keys and damaged or mis-aligned gas tubes primarily. Chased a feeding problem for months only to find the gas tube roll pin was the wrong size. 13 cents later it was fine.

I assumed that the quest for a "ban compliant" upper meant probably no F/A.

So, I would second your comment about putting what he wants on it later. I have a YHM mid length f/f tube on my patrol rifle and love it.

Another plug for Model 1 Sales: they offer all of their uppers in "ban compliant" configuration with a recessed crown. Because God (and leftist fruit loops) know that flash hiders are deadly in their own right!

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 08-30-2008, 07:48 PM   #9

Jeep - Awesome post. +1

There is too much BS out there about this AR or that AR and why anything else is just going to get you killed. The Mid Length CAR Gas System is just another example of that mythos.

ANY properly assembled and tuned AR is going to get the job done. Period.

There are "Tier 1" and "Tier 2" parts, from manufacturing and from "name association" but they can ALL be made to run like a "custom" if the person doing the assembly knows what they are doing, and what they are tuning for.

I actually did some searching on my own this morning, about building an AR and things to "look out for" through Google. There are a ton of forums out there with people just posting opinion of their buddies' experiences and what went wrong, with their "opinion" as to why. If this website condoned forum raids, I could put some funny posts up here for a laugh.

Bottom line - There is too much myth and not enough fact about the AR platform and what it can be made to do.

Luckily we have some very good guys here that are willing to take some time and help folks get some real education instead of playing Grand Wizard of the Black Rifle.

JD

Old 08-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #10

Ok I want to thank both Dillinger and Jeepcreep for their comments. Both of you were very helpful.

When I said midlenth I meant for both the gas system and forend. Sorry for the confusion. I have also been hearing alot of good things about the midlength. Here are some things I have been hearing: smoother bolt stroke, slightly softer recoil, and less wear and tear. Was wondering if any of this was true?

As far as the forend goes, I can take an upper with a car forend and put a midlength one on it correct? I like the midlength forend because of its longer sight radius, looks, and gives me a little more to put my paws on.