Do I really need the Buffer pin?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Do I really need the Buffer pin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Do I really need the Buffer pin?

Do I really need to use the buffer pin / spring or is it just there to help assembly? Will the bolt come too far back and cause damage without it? I lost the spring, that is why I'm asking. Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #2

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 490

Yes, the buffer will sit inside the action and could cause a jam or damage the bolt carrier and the lower receiver.

They cost about $.25 at Brownells.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 01-15-2013 at 05:52 PM.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #3

Thank you for the help!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #4

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 490

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunguy1975
Thank you for the help!
Youre welcome. The spring is needed to keep upward tension on the pin so that the buffer cannot ride over it and recoil into the lower.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1170 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 695

yes its needed. aside from what he^ said. its also virtually impossible to dissassemble the rifle for cleaning or anything if its broken, or not there.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #6

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I got to see a first hand experience on this a guy brought a gun over that was " Jammed and stuck " someone some how managed to screw the buffer tube in to far and it pushed down on the taper edge of the pin, just enough to hold the buffer in place but after about 4-5 shots the buffer and spring let loose he said he didnt know what happened . I will say this I could not get it apart nor push the pins out of the upper. I told him to take it back to where he bought it from , I also noticed that with his problem he had a hammer pin pulled from a hole I would assume also jamming the hammer in to the bolt. Absolute nightmare this has been 2 months ago and he still has not gotten it back .
Bustmaster carbon 15

Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
I got to see a first hand experience on this a guy brought a gun over that was " Jammed and stuck " someone some how managed to screw the buffer tube in to far and it pushed down on the taper edge of the pin, just enough to hold the buffer in place but after about 4-5 shots the buffer and spring let loose he said he didnt know what happened . I will say this I could not get it apart nor push the pins out of the upper. I told him to take it back to where he bought it from , I also noticed that with his problem he had a hammer pin pulled from a hole I would assume also jamming the hammer in to the bolt. Absolute nightmare this has been 2 months ago and he still has not gotten it back .
Bustmaster carbon 15
Don't have a armorers wrench? All you'd have to do is take the buffer tube off!

Old 01-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #8

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazi View Post
Don't have a armorers wrench? All you'd have to do is take the buffer tube off!
yeah your right but it is a cheap carbon 15 and I wasnt interested in buying him a new lower or upper if I broke it . When you cant punch the pin out with a hammer and nylon punch easily its more problem than I was interested in getting in , especially since it was new and he bought it else where