Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Do I really need the Buffer pin? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/do-i-really-need-buffer-pin-81399/)

gunguy1975 01-15-2013 04:30 PM

Do I really need the Buffer pin?

Do I really need to use the buffer pin / spring or is it just there to help assembly? Will the bolt come too far back and cause damage without it? I lost the spring, that is why I'm asking. Thank you.

Jpyle 01-15-2013 04:49 PM

Yes, the buffer will sit inside the action and could cause a jam or damage the bolt carrier and the lower receiver.

They cost about $.25 at Brownells.

gunguy1975 01-15-2013 04:52 PM

Thank you for the help!

Jpyle 01-15-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunguy1975
Thank you for the help!

Youre welcome. The spring is needed to keep upward tension on the pin so that the buffer cannot ride over it and recoil into the lower.

jjfuller1 01-15-2013 05:06 PM

yes its needed. aside from what he^ said. its also virtually impossible to dissassemble the rifle for cleaning or anything if its broken, or not there.

purehavoc 01-15-2013 05:27 PM

I got to see a first hand experience on this a guy brought a gun over that was " Jammed and stuck " someone some how managed to screw the buffer tube in to far and it pushed down on the taper edge of the pin, just enough to hold the buffer in place but after about 4-5 shots the buffer and spring let loose he said he didnt know what happened . I will say this I could not get it apart nor push the pins out of the upper. I told him to take it back to where he bought it from , I also noticed that with his problem he had a hammer pin pulled from a hole I would assume also jamming the hammer in to the bolt. Absolute nightmare this has been 2 months ago and he still has not gotten it back .
Bustmaster carbon 15 :D

kamakazi 01-18-2013 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc
I got to see a first hand experience on this a guy brought a gun over that was " Jammed and stuck " someone some how managed to screw the buffer tube in to far and it pushed down on the taper edge of the pin, just enough to hold the buffer in place but after about 4-5 shots the buffer and spring let loose he said he didnt know what happened . I will say this I could not get it apart nor push the pins out of the upper. I told him to take it back to where he bought it from , I also noticed that with his problem he had a hammer pin pulled from a hole I would assume also jamming the hammer in to the bolt. Absolute nightmare this has been 2 months ago and he still has not gotten it back .
Bustmaster carbon 15 :D

Don't have a armorers wrench? All you'd have to do is take the buffer tube off!

purehavoc 01-18-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamakazi (Post 1098917)
Don't have a armorers wrench? All you'd have to do is take the buffer tube off!

yeah your right but it is a cheap carbon 15 and I wasnt interested in buying him a new lower or upper if I broke it . When you cant punch the pin out with a hammer and nylon punch easily its more problem than I was interested in getting in , especially since it was new and he bought it else where