Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   AR-15 Discussion (
-   -   do i have to register a new upper for my ar (

bushyspikemaster 09-23-2011 04:21 PM

do i have to register a new upper for my ar
im hella mad i bought a ar the other day with the 6.8 spc upper not realizing the ammo is retarted expensive and now i want the basic .223 so i am just wondering if i can go online and just buy a new upper or do i need to get it registered and if anyone lives in northern california and want to trade uppers hit me up its brand new bushmaster m4a3 6.8 spc 16'' barrel

dunerunner 09-23-2011 04:36 PM

It is Kalifornia, so.....

I would think that the only part of the AR that is considered a firearm is the lower receiver. Does Cali require registration of AR's now.....Didn't when I lived there.

Check with the Calif DOJ, call them or go online....they will set you straight.

bushyspikemaster 09-23-2011 04:38 PM

sorry i should have said do i have to go threw the same procedures you dont have to register but pass a background check so does that apply to changing uppers? thanks

TheSadPanda 09-23-2011 04:49 PM

I never lived in California, but it my understanding ,just as DR said, that the lower is the only part that you need to pass a background check on. The uppers are not numbered, so you should be ok to trade it out and/or buy a new one.

bushyspikemaster 09-23-2011 06:28 PM

ok cool thank you :)

Quentin 09-23-2011 08:51 PM

Be sure to ask online dealers, they should know the ins and outs legally of states they sell to. But it's your state and the onus is on YOU, so make sure before buying!

Normally you wouldn't expect any extra CA requirements on upper receivers except for the flash hider, threaded barrel, bayonet lug and of course barrel length.

NickySantoro 09-23-2011 10:09 PM

Only time you have to go through crap is for the serial numbered part which is the lower. The serial numbered part is considered to be the firearm, the rest being accessories.

dunerunner 09-23-2011 10:46 PM


Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 585425)
except for the flash hider, threaded barrel, bayonet lug and of course barrel length.

Quoted as fact for Kalifornia!

TacticalPrecision 09-24-2011 10:13 PM

Cali has the barrel restrictions that you need to be aware of, I think it reqires a welded flash hider/muzzle brake so that if you have the 16" version it meets the restrictions.

Other than that Cali, like other states I don't believe requires registration of the upper as the Lower is what is the actual firearm, as the gentleman before me stated.

bluez 02-01-2013 11:25 PM

Just make sure you dont buy an under 16 inch barrell.

Some folks make that mistake and htink the upper will already have the flashhider pinned/welded if its a 14.5 and usually its not.
Stick to 16 inch barrrell or longer unless you know what you're doing.

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:00 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.