Direct impingement or gas piston? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Direct impingement or gas piston?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 287 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 438

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerry View Post
So I'm stuck in the cross roads and want peoples ideas and opinions. What is better, a gas piston setup or direct impingement? I do a lot of range shooting and tactical lane shooting, but want something that I can jump out of the water with without it taking my face off. What do you guys think and what are thoughts?
There are a TINY percentage of the piston AR's that you can rise out of the water without draining the gun and take a shot with minimal risk of a catastrophic failure, but they can all go kaboom in your face. If you are going to play seal wanna-be like that, get some serious ballistic face protection. My piston is really reliable, but that is much further than I want to risk. HK has a few youtube vids that demonstrate their guns doing that, but how many failures did they go through to get that shot? Yeah, I know a seal with a HK 416 got Bin Ladin, yada, yada. And I used to be one of the biggest champions of the AR piston http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-15-cycling-operation-discussion-35134/ but I have 2 DI's to my one piston. All of my guns will shoot any brand of ammo. The piston is a little more reliable and a little less time to clean. Just not enough to justify the extra cash I had to shell out to buy the setup. I found out through trial and error that the DI system didn't take as much time to clean as my drill sergeants had preached, and a little oil can go a long way. I put together my guns with quality parts, not super expensive, just not bottom of the barrel, and they serve me just fine.

Last edited by fsted2a; 08-29-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 08-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Well looks like I'll go with my original thoughts. Spikes chrome vanadium bcg and an adjustable gas block