Direct impingement or gas piston?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Direct impingement or gas piston?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Direct impingement or gas piston?

So I'm stuck in the cross roads and want peoples ideas and opinions. What is better, a gas piston setup or direct impingement? I do a lot of range shooting and tactical lane shooting, but want something that I can jump out of the water with without it taking my face off. What do you guys think and what are thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #2

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

I have both. My piston is cleaner....but i trust my life to my dgi's

forumrunner_20120828_185637.jpg

forumrunner_20120828_185711.jpg

Old 08-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Under those conditions..piston.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:03 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

With you gas piston, I know they are cleaner, but other than that what are the upsides to them? I don't mind cleaning my weapon. ( currently infantry in the US ARMY) I read that with the gas piston, you don't have to drain the barrel if coming out of water? Any truth to this?

Old 08-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalfun
I have both. My piston is cleaner....but i trust my life to my dgi's

What makes you not trust ur life to ur piston?

Old 08-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Buy a DI, I did all the research, was buying a CQB MRP piston,I had decided the piston is what I needed, I ended up with the DI, why you ask? It just felt better, it does everything I have ever asked it to do, and I assure you it's waterproof.

Fetep

Old 08-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerry
With you gas piston, I know they are cleaner, but other than that what are the upsides to them? I don't mind cleaning my weapon. ( currently infantry in the US ARMY) I read that with the gas piston, you don't have to drain the barrel if coming out of water? Any truth to this?
I can tell you training with di includes a yank on the charging handle to break the seal so that the gun doesn't go kaboom.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5920 Times on 3091 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerry View Post
Nope. Still gotta break the seal and drain the water.

DI has fewer parts to break

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #9

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerry View Post
... I read that with the gas piston, you don't have to drain the barrel if coming out of water? Any truth to this?
That's typical piston BS. Common sense tells you that you'd drain water from a barrel no matter what the cycling action. No doubt the gas tube is an extra issue but it drains too. Let's face it, any weapon that gets submerged needs a little attention and inspection before firing unless you have to get off a shot now.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

People Like This 
Old 08-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #10

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
That's typical piston BS. Common sense tells you that you'd drain water from a barrel no matter what the cycling action. No doubt the gas tube is an extra issue but it drains too. Let's face it, any weapon that gets submerged needs a little attention and inspection before firing unless you have to get off a shot now.
^^^ what he said...water doesn't know or care what kind of gas system you have and will fill the barrel if the gun is submerged.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington