Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Direct impingement or gas piston? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/direct-impingement-gas-piston-71323/)

rugerry 08-28-2012 10:55 PM

Direct impingement or gas piston?

So I'm stuck in the cross roads and want peoples ideas and opinions. What is better, a gas piston setup or direct impingement? I do a lot of range shooting and tactical lane shooting, but want something that I can jump out of the water with without it taking my face off. What do you guys think and what are thoughts?

tacticalfun 08-28-2012 10:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have both. My piston is cleaner....but i trust my life to my dgi's

Attachment 55986

Attachment 55987

mountainman13 08-28-2012 10:57 PM

Under those conditions..piston.

rugerry 08-28-2012 11:03 PM

With you gas piston, I know they are cleaner, but other than that what are the upsides to them? I don't mind cleaning my weapon. ( currently infantry in the US ARMY) I read that with the gas piston, you don't have to drain the barrel if coming out of water? Any truth to this?

rugerry 08-28-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tacticalfun
I have both. My piston is cleaner....but i trust my life to my dgi's

What makes you not trust ur life to ur piston?

fetep 08-28-2012 11:05 PM

Buy a DI, I did all the research, was buying a CQB MRP piston,I had decided the piston is what I needed, I ended up with the DI, why you ask? It just felt better, it does everything I have ever asked it to do, and I assure you it's waterproof.

Fetep

mountainman13 08-28-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugerry
With you gas piston, I know they are cleaner, but other than that what are the upsides to them? I don't mind cleaning my weapon. ( currently infantry in the US ARMY) I read that with the gas piston, you don't have to drain the barrel if coming out of water? Any truth to this?

I can tell you training with di includes a yank on the charging handle to break the seal so that the gun doesn't go kaboom.

JonM 08-29-2012 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugerry (Post 919325)

Nope. Still gotta break the seal and drain the water.

DI has fewer parts to break

Quentin 08-29-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugerry (Post 919325)
... I read that with the gas piston, you don't have to drain the barrel if coming out of water? Any truth to this?

That's typical piston BS. Common sense tells you that you'd drain water from a barrel no matter what the cycling action. No doubt the gas tube is an extra issue but it drains too. Let's face it, any weapon that gets submerged needs a little attention and inspection before firing unless you have to get off a shot now.

Jpyle 08-29-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 919445)
That's typical piston BS. Common sense tells you that you'd drain water from a barrel no matter what the cycling action. No doubt the gas tube is an extra issue but it drains too. Let's face it, any weapon that gets submerged needs a little attention and inspection before firing unless you have to get off a shot now.

^^^ what he said...water doesn't know or care what kind of gas system you have and will fill the barrel if the gun is submerged.