Dimpled primer durring charging

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Dimpled primer durring charging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Dimpled primer durring charging

Typically when I chamber a round in any gun other than a hunting rifle or carry gun, it gets fired. So I was caught off guard when I cleared my m&p 15 at the range for cease fire and noticed that the primer had been struck (lightly). Out of curiosity, I ran about 5 live rounds into and out of battery and all were dimpled. I have an ar but am far from an "ar guy". I know the firing pin floats freely but my gut tells me that this is not supposed to happen. Any input is welcome. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-10-2012, 04:46 PM   #2

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

That is normal. The free floating firing pin continues forward when the bolt stops and will strike the primer. It is more likely there is something wrong if you don't see the light primer strikes.
If it bothers you, release the bolt and use the charging handle to slowly let it close and a few taps on the forward assist.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #3

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts

I had the same thing last weekend. I thought the round had been dimpled by nearly charging a second round.

When coyote hunting, I ride the bcg forward to be as quiet as possible and then forward assist into Full battery. Somehow I had chambered a round and when double checking the extractor had never grabbed the chambered round. I then attempted to chamber another behind it.... In my defense it's usually pitch black when I walk in. I thought the second round had dimpled the primer, but it was just a previously chambered round with firing pin strike.

Pretty wordy, hope that makes sense.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by msup752
That is normal. The free floating firing pin continues forward when the bolt stops and will strike the primer. It is more likely there is something wrong if you don't see the light primer strikes.
If it bothers you, release the bolt and use the charging handle to slowly let it close and a few taps on the forward assist.
That is what I was hoping to hear. It doesn't bother me as long as it is part of the design. I will continue to slam the bolt home as long as I have no need to worry about sending one down range.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2733 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 231

The AR is designed for use with 5.56 mm MILITARY ammo, Machinegun ammo. The military primers are much harder than most commercially available primers. Using commercial .223 ammo you will see the slight dimpling. Rarely does this result in a slamfire (avoid Federal primers as they tend to be the softest).

I have NEVER seen or experienced a slam fire because of this. If it concerns you a bunch, look into a Titanium firing pin. The reduced mass of the Titanium will greatly reduce this tendancy.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 11-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #6

Interesting. Thanks for the info

Old 11-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5704 Times on 3225 Posts
Likes Given: 5128

That's why MilSpec primers are harder and thicker than so-called sporting primers.

All military ball ammo is loaded with these type primers.

Commercially, only Remington 7 1/2 and the special order CCI are MilSpec. These two should be used for handloading if you're loading for a military semi-auto.

Winston Churchill
Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 11-10-2012, 11:53 PM   #8

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Change to a Ruger Mini-14, problem solved

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #9

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1003

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Change to a Ruger Mini-14, problem solved
I'll pass.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #10

Liked 4785 Times on 2314 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Op, GREAT question!

I've been using the AR platform since 1991 and NEVER noticed this before?

This is why I appreciate FTF!

Tack