different acog buis arrangement

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > different acog buis arrangement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 2995 Posts
Likes Given: 379

Default different acog buis arrangement

ok the whole idea of the rco larue mount is to get a better eye relief with an effective length of pull by bringing the acog more to the rear.

if i mount the buis to the rear of the acog i lose a good length of pull from the acog being too far forward. so i was thinking why not put the buis in front???

am i missing any real negatives in putting the sight there?? all it needs to do is hit a 19" target out to 0-300yds with the irons

the MI rear sight has a very very large peephole

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-14-2012, 04:36 AM   #2

Liked 1018 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Well it is a backup iron so why not. A little less sight radius but should work assuming the ACOG has a quick release mount.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

The mount is a single lever qd mount. Im going to try that config and see if i can get reasonable accuracy at 300yds saturday.

Ive just never seen anyone else put a buis in front of an optic. Judt wondering if there was a reason why not.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 101 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I can see that working if the back up rear sight is a notch sight. I don't see it working with a rear peep sight, unless it has a very large aperture. Either way you can expect a requisite decrease in accuracy. The arrangement is very much AK like. The Israelis increased the accuracy of the AK (Galil) by moving the rear sight from the front of the receiver to the rear. Doing the opposite to an AR doesn't seem wise. If, however, you are just putting it there for "storage" then give it a try. I wouldn't do it if it required tools to move it to a usable spot on an upper. Mr Murphy rules in bad situations.

EDUB

ETA: Just found this, someone else is doing it with 45* offset sights. The rear is a peep. So maybe it will work out okay. I don't know about accuracy at 300 yards though. Good luck

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=105493

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by EW1066; 06-14-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Thanks the rear is a midwest industries slp. The big aperture is not just big its freekin huge. Almost unusable in the rear most normal slot you typically see buis installed. It does need a tool to move but a quarter will work or even the end of a knife.

With it mounted rearward the big peep i was getting 5-6 inch groups due to its enourmous size. Flipped to the smaller peep and groups shrank to about 1.5"

So im thinking it SHOULD work.

I could move it further back and leave it up all the time. It diesnt block the view there anymore than the fsb does.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #6

Hey Jon why not drop one of those pics in the lower receiver thread. We may already have BCM but probably not one of their new roll mark, which you have. Great pics btw.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Hey Jon why not drop one of those pics in the lower receiver thread. We may already have BCM but probably not one of their new roll mark, which you have. Great pics btw.
Ill do it when i get home. Cant do it from my nook it doesnt cut and paste.

Im surprised my camera works at all its beat to hell with a huge crack in the display screen. Not thinking and dropped a 500pack 9mm bulk box on it in my range backpack last year when i bought rounds for my wife's xdm. Want a tough takes a lickin camera its cannon for sure.

Its gone out the window at 45mph had it sitting on the dash of the transam... tough little bugger

Old 06-17-2012, 03:09 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

took it to the range today but i had mixed results as i forgot my glasses at the house. was a bad eyesight day today was prolly a little dehydrated cuz i was seeing double through the sights and scope. but i think with that arrangemennt it was shooting 10 inches low which is a lot just moving forward a few rail slots.

i will try again next weekend and NOT forget my glasses.

i did take a pic of the tula ammo results but cant get em off my phone as my wife lost my usb cable *sigh* it shot suprisingly well with the steel tula no feed extract or cycle issues. locked to the rear just fine on last shot.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
... it shot suprisingly well with the steel tula no feed extract or cycle issues. locked to the rear just fine on last shot.
So it was the BAD lever giving you trouble like BCM said?

______

Old 06-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
So it was the BAD lever giving you trouble like BCM said?
Yup. Im guessing the rifles thatdo run with one on it are barely operating.