Difference of 5.56 and Multi-Caliber Lower?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Difference of 5.56 and Multi-Caliber Lower?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Difference of 5.56 and Multi-Caliber Lower?

Is there truely, differences between the standard Mil-Spec 5.56/223 Lowers dimensions, compared to Lowers that say MULTI Caliber, or is this just a fancy marketing twist on words?
Del

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman View Post
Is there truely, differences between the standard Mil-Spec 5.56/223 Lowers dimensions, compared to Lowers that say MULTI Caliber, or is this just a fancy marketing twist on words?
Del
as long as it says milspec your good. with so many different caliber options for stripped lowers these days i think the manufacturers caught on.. it would be strange to have a 5.56 marked lower with a .300blk upper.. hence the multi dealio.. really it doesnt matter much just kinda is what it is thing.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
canebrake Likes This 
Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #3

Liked 2294 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 501

What the lower has marked on it doesn't really matter. There are pressure differences between .223 and 5.56 NATO rounds, and the chamber for the NATO round is a bit more generous in the leade.

So what is important is what the barrel is chambered for. I have seen people shoot 5.56 in a .223 chambered rifle with no problems, and I have seen people shoot them and have blown primers other high pressure signs like flattened primers and ejector marks on the case heads. So, it is not just marketing when people recommend not shooting 5.56 in a rifle that has a barrel with a .223 chamber. But again as far as the marking on the lower goes it could say it was chambered for 40 megawatt plasma rounds, and as long as it is built to original specs it can accept any of the uppers designed to fit a standard AR15.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:29 AM   #4

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Thanks, this is what I thought. I do have an AR that does say 223-5.56, so I know it can shoot both rounds without problems, and I know about the higher charge of 5.56 and not firing rounds in a dedicated 223 chamber as it can be unsafe, but seeing the Lowers that say Multi-Caliber made me wonder, if they were special, and were needed, if doing something other than a 223/5.56(or another configuration within this parimeter) build. Not including, having to use AR-10 variations, which is another animal.
Del

Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

The milspec lowers are all basically the same. other than the caliber marking, there is basically no difference between a 5.56, and a multi cal lower. It's the upper that changes with the caliber.

There MAY be a legal issue though. I think I may have read that if the receiver is marked 5.56, you can only shoot 5.56/.223 out of it legally, but if it says multi, your good to go on everything. I think I read that here on FTF, but it's been awhile. It may be worth looking into.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 11-15-2012 at 09:38 AM.
fsted2a Likes This 
Old 11-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #6

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
The milspec lowers are all basically the same. other than the caliber marking, there is basically no difference between a 5.56, and a multi cal lower. It's the upper that changes with the caliber.

There MAY be a legal issue though. I think I may have read that if the receiver is marked 5.56, you can only shoot 5.56/.223 out of it legally, but if it says multi, your good to go on everything. I think I read that here on FTF, but it's been awhile. It may be worth looking into.
I know of no legal issues with the lower markings. That is not saying there isn't in some county or state (Seeing as now anyone and everyone can make what ever law they want) doesn't have a little known law that says if you have an evil assult rifle and it is marked different than it is chambered you are in violation and you will be beaten with a lead pipe and locked away as a future mass murder.

The only problem I could see is that if you sold say your 300 blakout rifle and the lower says 556 and some numbnut tried to chamber a 556 and then charged another blowing the thing up in his face.

You just never know in this new world order world anymore. More and more dumb people are allowed to live because of safety warnings and helmets.

So I would say if you want to make a nonstandard caliber (IE not 556 or 223) ar and there is an OFF change you would sell it (Why would you ever sell a gun?) then you might want to get a multical lower.

If you find a multical marked lower that is $30 or 40 cheaper than a 556 marked then hey go for it.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #7

Liked 225 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post

Yeah, I think there are a couple states law that says you can only shoot what caliber is marked on the receiver, or some such stupid crap.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07 View Post
I know of no legal issues with the lower markings. That is not saying there isn't in some county or state (Seeing as now anyone and everyone can make what ever law they want) doesn't have a little known law that says if you have an evil assult rifle and it is marked different than it is chambered you are in violation and you will be beaten with a lead pipe and locked away as a future mass murder.

The only problem I could see is that if you sold say your 300 blakout rifle and the lower says 556 and some numbnut tried to chamber a 556 and then charged another blowing the thing up in his face.

You just never know in this new world order world anymore. More and more dumb people are allowed to live because of safety warnings and helmets.

So I would say if you want to make a nonstandard caliber (IE not 556 or 223) ar and there is an OFF change you would sell it (Why would you ever sell a gun?) then you might want to get a multical lower.

If you find a multical marked lower that is $30 or 40 cheaper than a 556 marked then hey go for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Yeah, I think there are a couple states law that says you can only shoot what caliber is marked on the receiver, or some such stupid crap.
Yeah, I thought someone has a law like that, I just wasn't sure it if it was a federal issue. I guess not.
Personally, I just prefer to get multi cal lowers so that if I do decide to get another upper and swap them, I don't have a .300 blackout or a 6.5 Grendel that says 5.56 on the side. That's just a personal preference though.