difference in .223 wylde and 5.56 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > difference in .223 wylde and 5.56

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #21
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2399 Times on 1193 Posts
Likes Given: 1222

Yes generally speaking, the Stainless Barrels are more accurate than the others. That is why the companies use them for the match, varmint and predator barreled rifles. And most quality rifles of this type have the Wylde Chamber in them. However, the durability is not as good if you are going to shoot an excessive amount of rounds or a lot of rounds at one time causing excessive throat heat and erosion in the barrel. In terms of durability in order that are 1. Chrome Moly 2. Chrome Moly/ Vanadium, and 3. Chrome Lined is even more durable in the Chrome Molys and should always be used on select fire weapons, those who are going to experience excessive shooting for prolonged periods as well as those in Salt Water or High Humidity environments and 4. Stainless Barrels.That is why the match shooters at Camp Perry change them out after about 6-8,000 rounds. For you and I that would not be necessary unless we abuse the barrel.
As Alsquar stated I too had a Sako Rifle and had shot a lot of 5.56 rounds through it also. But as he stated a Sako Rifle's quality of steel and craftsmanship is far better than most production rifles. Once in a while my bolt had a slight bit of resistance when finally closing into battery. It was years ago and I did not realize what I was doing by doing that! Lucky I guess and glad nothing bad happened! The Sako obviously handling the pressure spikes we previously spoke about. And also as previously mentioned if a 223 Chambered weapon is not Chrome Lined some minor 5.56 chamber reaming can correct the problem and issue. But as a general rule, one should not shoot 5.56 NATO ammunition in a 223 Remington chambered weapon. Although I think? some manufacturers may be using a NATO chamber in their rifles or most likely a Wylde? I just wish they would advise in the documentation of the weapon. That would certainly help! I guess the only way we would know was to call their company technical department. Most people there on the normal phone contacts do not have that much technical knowledge of the product.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2066 Times on 1117 Posts
Likes Given: 3103

It's a myth that US made 5.56mm military cases are thicker than .223 commercial cases. i've weighed the cases of my accuracy re-loads for decades. Some British made 5.56mm cases are thick as are some Lapua and S&B cases. i had a couple S&B cases get into a batch of my Lake City re-loads that were max. The result was bad primer leak in my Remington 700.

Click on brass weights comparisons:

http://ar15barrels.com/tech.shtml

Lucky Gunner Labs tested 5.56mm ammo in .223 chambers, etc. One of the rifles with a "5.56mm chamber" gave higher pressures with military ball ammo than the same ammo gave when fired in a ".223 chamber". This bears out the claims of a good gunsmith and myself that .223/5.56mm chambers are all over the place in dimensions.

Quote:
What Happens When You Fire 5.56 Ammo in a .223 Chamber?

I know most people are interested in this part – and yes, I really did fire 5.56 in a .223 chamber. I had a friend at the range with me at the time, and he stayed a good ways back when I did so. I was not concerned about what would happen, and as I expected, the results were not spectacular.

However, I was surprised about the results I saw. There was no dangerous spike in pressure from firing 5.56mm ammo in a .223 chamber. While pressures were elevated in comparison to one of the 5.56mm barrels, they were slightly below the other 5.56mm barrel.
http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

The TW made 5.56mm military ammo is very accurate: Some of the stuff rivals expensive "match" ammo in accuracy. Using TW 67 M193 ball ammo, two of my bolt action rifles consistently make 5/8-3/4 five shot groups at 100 meters. That ammo has been stored in an undergound cellar since 1968.

Last edited by alsaqr; 07-11-2014 at 09:54 PM.