difference in .223 wylde and 5.56
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > difference in .223 wylde and 5.56

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 03:11 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 410 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 815

Default difference in .223 wylde and 5.56

Would someone take the time to explain to this old guy the difference between the .223 Wylde , the .223 , and the 5.56 .
I have friend that insists the .223 Wylde is the ONLY way to go for ground squirrel shooting.
I don't know enough to argue the point or even to agree with it.

Keep your powder dry boys.
Things are gonna get rough.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-05-2014, 03:40 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 266 Times on 171 Posts

From Wikipedia:

The .223 Wylde is a proprietary rifle cartridge chamber with the external dimensions and lead angle as found in the military 5.56×45mm NATO cartridge and the 0.2240 inch freebore diameter as found in the civilian SAAMI .223 Remington cartridge. Rifles with a .223 Wylde chamber will typically accept both .223 Remington and externally slightly larger 5.56×45mm NATO ammunition.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 07-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #3

Liked 400 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 1424

Wylde chambers have a reputation for being quite accurate with both 5.56 and 223.

Wylde chambers since they are designed from the beginning to also chamber 5.56 will always be strong enough to take 5.56..
Not all 223 chambers can say the same ( though most can, the pressure differential is small than most seem to think)

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Old 07-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #4

Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 731

This is interesting. I noticed the other day that Ares Armor has upends in 223 Wylde. They said the same thing, that it'll take both 223 & 5.56. That particular upper was also less than $400. They seem to be making a pretty good product. If I were to build/buy one right now, I'd seriously consider a Wylde. If for no other reason than it has a cool name.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #5

Liked 280 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 31

There are other variations of the match chambers , depending on make but those work the same. Makes for a better shooter over all of standard ammo and make a far better match grade or wylde chamber.
Heres a page that covers the size variations- http://ar15barrels.com/data/223-556.pdf

Old 07-05-2014, 04:29 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 266 Times on 171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
Wylde chambers have a reputation for being quite accurate with both 5.56 and 223.

Wylde chambers since they are designed from the beginning to also chamber 5.56 will always be strong enough to take 5.56..
Not all 223 chambers can say the same ( though most can, the pressure differential is small than most seem to think)

I thought that the pressure problems arise because the NATO chamber length, throat leade length, and diameters on the 5.56 are slightly longer, and wider than on the SAAMI 223 dimensions. Resulting in the potential for the neck of case over crimping as the round went into the chamber, and/or the bullet being seated against the rifleing. Both of which typically result in higher than normal pressures in any firearm.

The NATO spec brass is also thicker, which could exacerbate the problem with mil spec rounds in a SAAMI chamber cut at the minimum dimensions.

Any action or barrel that is built for the 223, should easily handle the design pressure increase seen with the 5.56, if there aren't added issues caused by a short/tight chamber. The action components are the same, and the barrels are the same alloy, with typically the same finishing process.

The Wylde chamber dimensions overcome this by keeping the SAAMI chamber dimensions but the throat dimension of the NATO chamber.

At least that is what my research indicates. I could be wrong though

Old 07-05-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1337 Times on 908 Posts
Likes Given: 1427

I think jigs-n-fixture explained it to a T !....................

When all else fails.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

5.56 will shoot all the 223/556 rounds. It's the ultimate 'versatility' option. Ideal for the 18" and under, chrome-lined, HD AR with a 1:7 - 1:9 twist. (1:8 is the perfect twist IMO, but 1:7 or 1:9 can be plenty acceptable for 95+% of shooters).

223Wydle is more of a precision round designed for target shooting and varminting. Most practical Wydles will boast 18+" SS barrels and a 1:8 twist. These guns are typically set up with spendier stocks, $100-250 triggers, and high grade optics to accomodate the shooter. So it just depends on how you want to set up your rifle. Any AR can be a decent varminter (yes, even the $600 Wally World specials). The right setup depends on your budget, what else you'd like the rifle to do, the distances at which you're shooting, bullet weights in question, etc.

The world of AR's can be an endless rabbit hole. The affordable stuff you see on the surface is pretty decent, but as you descend it can get pretty amazing...and amazingly expensive.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:05 PM   #9

Liked 400 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 1424

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs-n-fixture View Post
I thought that the pressure problems arise because the NATO chamber length, throat leade length, and diameters on the 5.56 are slightly longer, and wider than on the SAAMI 223 dimensions. Resulting in the potential for the neck of case over crimping as the round went into the chamber, and/or the bullet being seated against the rifleing. Both of which typically result in higher than normal pressures in any firearm.
At least that is what my research indicates. I could be wrong though

Nothing wrong with what you posted, though not sure how it refutes anything in my post which gave the man a correct yet short answer to his question.

Often i find this to be the most useful approach for most users.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Last edited by bluez; 07-08-2014 at 11:10 PM.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2722 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Jigs and Sweeper have made some excellent and correct points.
5.56 NATO Ammunition should NOT! be shot in a "True" 223 Remington Chambered weapon!
But 223 Remington Ammunition can be fired safely and is also accurate in the 5.56 NATO or Wylde Chambered weapon.
There are several reasons some mentioned above. Lets start by saying that Military Spec. Ammunition to and including the 5.56 NATO ammunition is hotter ( More Preasure!) than most commerical ammuntion.
Then as mentioned the 5.56 NATO Chamber is designed for the addititional preasure. This is done by the "Lead" in the Chamber prior to the begining of the Riflings. *Or a Chamber that fills up with gas before the round contacts the riflings.(Lands and Grooves) While the True 223 Remington Chamber has very little if any lead.
By the 223 Chamber not having the lead not only with the higher preassure of the 5.56 NATO Spec. ammunition. If the 5.56 ammunition is fired in the 223 Remington Chamber the preasure is also higher being a military spec round but the bullet is almost already in the riflings causing the preasure to even spike more. Then if the casings of the 5.56 ammunition with it's possible thicker brass is crimped even more into the cannula of the bullet when the bolt closes. This causing the preasure to even increase more to an unsafe level! "So it is simple" do not shoot 5.56 ammuntion in a "True" 223 Remington Chamber.
However, Bill Wylde designed the Wylde Chamber for match competition and matches like the National Matches at Camp Perry Ohio where they shoot military spec ammuntion for the competitions. Mostly Lake City 5.56! So with that said the Wylde Chamber is simply a tightened, tuned up 5.56 Chamber with closer tolerances to increase accuracy for match competition. The Wylde Chamber can shoot 223 Remington ammuntion as all 5.56 NATO ammuntion and does it very well! Here is an xray of the chambers. Notice that the Lead on the 5.56 Chamber and little if any on the 223 Remington Chamber. 223 on the Left and 5.56 on the Right!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

People Like This