Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Did I do good? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/did-i-do-good-79301/)

NotMormon 12-24-2012 04:51 PM

Did I do good?

I picked up a DPMS LR-8 AP4 this morning for $1200. It's about two years old and has never been fired. I was not planning to enter the AR world until next summer but in light of the uncontrollable events as of late, my hand was forced....so to speak. I'll pick up some mags as I find them:mad:.

Has anyone done any chronograph work with the 16" barrel vs. a 20"? I'm curious about the velocity loss and wondering what to expect. The barrel break-in procedure seams a bit ridiculous. Overall, I'm pretty excited about it....would not have bought it if the gouge was applied.

kytowboater 12-24-2012 04:54 PM

In this market right now, that seems to be doing ok.

CHLChris 12-24-2012 05:00 PM

The 16" vs. 20" benefits are much more about maneuverability than velocity. If CQB is in your possible future or needs, then 16" might be better. If 20" would work for you, then the (slightly) increased velocity would be worth it. Any long-distance work would make a 20" barrel preferable.

NotMormon 12-24-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHLChris (Post 1064389)
The 16" vs. 20" benefits are much more about maneuverability than velocity. If CQB is in your possible future or needs, then 16" might be better. If 20" would work for you, then the (slightly) increased velocity would be worth it. Any long-distance work would make a 20" barrel preferable.

Yea, I know the CQB maneuverability idea behind it. I was just wondering if anyone had velocity data. Hopefully, all of this AW bewlsheet blows over and I can build the .308 that I had planned on this summer.:)

bluez 12-24-2012 11:50 PM

I am a big fan of the 16 inch barrell.
:)
At that lenght you lose very little ballistic performance from a 20 inch, yet gain a lot of handiness compared to a 20 inch.
The bullet speed drop from 16 inch down to 14.5 inch is a bigger difference than from 20 to 16, according to most chronos I've seen.

If you like extra punch just stick with the hotter loads and you'll be hard pressed to notice a difference on the chrono.

It's not a "tacticool" thing to say, but IMHO the 16 inch barrell really is the sweet spot for an all-around AR and not just legally.

Congratulations on your kick-ass AR!!!!

barnjoer 12-25-2012 12:00 AM

First of all you have an ( A 10 ) not an AR. I have the DPMS LR 308 A 10 & love it. It also has the 20'' barrel. I wanted the 20'' Stainless but only get it in A 24'' Was wanting to mate my DPMS Sweet 16 that has the Stainless barrel but did not want the 24'' so I settled for the 20''. I know you will love it. OH yea you did good. They are going for 1,500 down here these days if you can find any one that has or will turn loose of one.

Sniper03 12-25-2012 12:01 AM

CHL is correct. I have a 16" Rock River Arms LAR 8. And let me tell you! You should be more than happy it is not a 20" barrel. The ARs in the 308 Class are much heavier than the AR-15s. And the 16 handles very well and probably as mine they are very accurate. Mine will shoot 1 MOA Groups at 100 yards. I also shot a deer with it in Texas at 150 yards and the deer was DRT. Turned 180 degrees when hit and dropped straight down to the ground. My LAR 8 shoots Federal Gold Medal 168gr. BTHP very well. The designation of the ammo is the GM308M. So I believe you will be very pleased and due to the fact that you can not find one out there due to the present situation and for $1200 you did well. I know for a fact that Rock Rivers lead time at the present is about 8 months to 1 year out on delivery unless someone would be lucky enough to find one at a dealer. Then who knows what will transpire with Obama's idiotic gun laws in the meantime? Good luck on the Mags.
Have not done any chronograph work but the mid-range (100-300) accuracy sure has not been effected in my opinion and experience.

NotMormon 12-25-2012 12:17 AM

On a side note here guy's, I tried to find some F'ing brass today and guess what? The panic has gotten out of control! I have plenty primers, projectiles and flatulence but no 308 brass to put it in. There was a boat load of it last week in the local classifieds but all I could find there today was $100, .223 pmags. I hope that I get lucky this week or it's really going to F up next weekends good times.

I'm still pretty stoked about the new rifle in spite of the lack of brass.

RiverRat68 12-25-2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotMormon (Post 1064898)
On a side note here guy's, I tried to find some F'ing brass today and guess what? The panic has gotten out of control! I have plenty primers, projectiles and flatulence but no 308 brass to put it in. There was a boat load of it last week in the local classifieds but all I could find there today was $100, .223 pmags. I hope that I get lucky this week or it's really going to F up next weekends good times.

I'm still pretty stoked about the new rifle in spite of the lack of brass.

NotMorman; Try BrassManBrass.com. I work for them. I know they are short on a lot of brass. I don't know just what he has in stock. How many do you want?? If I get a reply by 6:30 PST, I'll call him then PM you. I have been in the hospital for nearly 2 months, or I could give you a better answer.:)
RiverRat68

NotMormon 12-25-2012 06:00 PM

Thanks RiverRat. Luckily my friend knows a guy who has a friend that has a cousin with tons of 308 brass. Sorry about your stay in the hospital and hope you get feeling good soon.