Determining Perfect Buffer Weight
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Determining Perfect Buffer Weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 03:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default Determining Perfect Buffer Weight

So, I am doing some reading on buffers atm. I found this over info

Quote:
The perfect buffer weight has to be determined by you shooting it.
From what I have learned at 6.8Forums,
you want the fired brass to eject to the 3 o'clock postition.
If it is at one or two o'clock make the buffer/srping heavier and
if it ejects to 4 or 5 o'clock make it lighter.
Source: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/416283_.html

I am sure there's other info, and opinions, that's why im posting this

Thoughts?

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #2

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

I agree with the quote except I like my brass to eject about 4 o'clock.

If you give it enough thought you'll probably come pretty close to the right buffer the first time but most of us end up buying a different weight to test it out.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 12-16-2012 at 05:56 AM.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #3

That's kind of what I was thinking. Part of me thinks it might not be bad to have a few I'm my range kit for testing.

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 12-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2680 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 1348

Monteros,

I agree with Quentin. A rifle that is running correctly which by the way has a good Extractor and Ejector should be kicking the spent rounds out in the 3 - 4 o'clock area of the ejection pattern when running perfectly. And there are a lot of things that determine the buffer weight of a rifle. The size of the gas port and the pressure of the ammunition also have everything to do with selecting the correct buffer. Speaking of ammunition Military Ammunition is of higher pressure than Commercial Ammunition so it can have an effect. And select fire auto weapons are more temperamental than semi auto weapons. As a general rule I have found that weapons with barrels 16" + barrels with collapsible tactical stocks generally have a standard car buffer if the rifle has the correct gas port. Weapons with barrels less than 16 in. usually run best with an H-1 or H-2 Buffer. And weapons with 10" and shorter normally take at least an H-2 and some occasions an H-3. The caution is you can go too heavy which will cause a problem on the other end. There really is no one correct answer it depends on some of the factors above but as stated the 3-4 O'clock is a good rule of thumb to diagnose if the weapon is running well.
I personally have all four buffers in my armorer kit which I use to diagnose problems. For example if a rifle is having malfunctions due to being over gassed it normally is misdiagnosed in the initial stages. Then the ejection pattern is noted giving us a clue among others that are available if you know what to look for. Such as monitoring the buffer's face, bolt speed, ejection pattern as mentioned. So we put in an H-1 Buffer to attempt to correct it. The weapon now runs much better but we get an occasional hick-up! Go to an H-2 but never jump more than one weight at a time when diagnosing.
A source for a set of buffers is M&A Parts out of IL.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

People Like This 
Old 12-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #5

Totally appreciate the info!!!! It's my goal to be the most knowledgable I can regarding this weapon system, for myself but more so for my family and friends that are going to use or are already using AR's. Figure if I am competent then we all can be.

Once again thanks. Going to digest this info and buy my stock and buffer system

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Last edited by monteros; 12-16-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #6

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by monteros View Post
Totally appreciate the info!!!! It's my goal to be the most knowledgable I can regarding this weapon system, for myself but more so for my family and friends that are going to use or are already using AR's. Figure if I am competent then we all can be.

Once again thanks. Going to digest this info and buy my stock and buffer system
Just because one carbine barrel will run a h2 doesn't mean the next will , even from the same manufacturer or even function correctly. I have 2 of the same barrels , same build kits . One runs flawless with a 4.2 oz buffer the other runs fine with 4.2 oz and kicks the brass 4 oclock with it but the bolt will not stay open on the last shot so I had to cut 0.2 oz off it to function correctly . So keep that in mind
Old 12-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2952 Times on 1538 Posts
Likes Given: 263

My rule of thumb is;
Carbine, 14.5" - 16" = H buffer
SBR or Full auto carbine = H2
Suppressed = H3

Use this as a starting point. If the gun runs 100% at these levels, leave it alone.

Some are using super heavy buffers like the 9mm 6 oz buffer or some of the various tungsten buffers made as heavy as 12 oz. IMHO if you need a buffer heavier than the above recommendations, there is something wrong elsewhere in the gun.

If you feel the need to experiment, go to a golf supply store and get some powdered tungsten. Disassemble the buffer, replace the weights with the powdered tungsten. You can adjust the weight to find the best weight for your gun. For about $20 you can get enough tungsten to make 4 or 5 heavy buffers.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #8

Liked 1983 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Hey sniper, nice write up. I learned something. Thank you.

Rick

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #9

Thanks guys! Great info. Yeah, I noticed while reading, that even H buffers from the same manufacturer can have different weights... I am totally on board with each gun being unique and the potential for tuning it. Great stuff!

I love the idea about the gold supply shop and powdered tungsten

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 12-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #10

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Excellent advice from Sniper, Havoc and 10mm. It is smart to have a selection of buffers available to fine tune an AR. It's been my experience that with a 16" barrel you almost always can go with H over standard weight or even heavier but I've only got much experience over five different ARs.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.