Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   delta ring loose, is this normal? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/delta-ring-loose-normal-21903/)

talbertjm 01-07-2010 03:35 AM

delta ring loose, is this normal?

the delta ring is loose on my rifle. it is very new and has only 400 rounds put through it, is this normal? i can move it back and forth about 16th of an inch. i have a bushmaster xm-15 m4 style.

junho806 01-07-2010 04:43 AM

thats odd
is the spring in there?

IGETEVEN 01-07-2010 05:28 AM

Maybe the snap ring is not seated or off a hair and not lined in place against the delta ring and spring assembly.

Jack

slowryde45 01-07-2010 03:39 PM

Some of them are loose, normally not to the point where you can easily move them around. Like Jack said, check that your snap ring is properly seated in the groove.

talbertjm 01-08-2010 02:57 AM

went to gun shop today to check some other ar's, and what do i find out.....i checked a dpms, another bush, and a colt and all the delta rings on those models move also. the dpms moved so much i could feel the spring tension. these were all brand new weapons. i would say its normal. if anybody says different, tell me what you think.

willfully armed 01-08-2010 03:13 AM

The delta ring on my OLY Arms was super-duper tight. No free play whatsoever.

talbertjm 01-08-2010 03:20 AM

hope its normal, just sent bushmaster an email.

slowryde45 01-08-2010 04:29 AM

The delta ring itself has to be able to move to install/uninstall your handguard or rail. Usually...the spring is held tight against the inside of the delta ring by the snap ring. So normally, it is snug, not tight, but shouldn't be rattling around either. Again, keep in mind, it's only real function is to secure the handguards or rails. On most free float systems, you cut or remove the delta ring, spring and snap ring completely, as they no longer serve a purpose. So the fact that yours is a little loose, should not cause too much concern, unless it's rattling around.

Slo

talbertjm 01-08-2010 09:21 PM

just received email from bushmaster, they said a little play, which what i have, is normal. no concern at all.

slowryde45 01-08-2010 10:54 PM

see? no probs. ;)

you'll find on most AR's, there is always something that feels LOOSE. Whether it be the extendable stocks, the handguards/rail systems, and on some even the upper to lower receiver fit. It's just the nature of the beast. Now, alot of that changes with modifications or manufacturers, too.

Magpul came out with their CTR stock, which still has 4-6 position extension (depending on which buffer tube you have), and locks in each of those positions like any other extendable stock. But they addressed the rattle or looseness that some feel with the traditional extendables by adding a Friction Lock, a second lever that tightens up the fit of the stock at whatever position. No more rattle or loose fit.

Rock River Arms, tightened up their tolerance of the upper to lower receiver fit, so they have one of the most rattle free fits around. No, they aren't the only one, but one of the more affordable ones.

Same with handguards and rails. When you go to a Free Float system, you'll most of the time get away from the Delta ring, weld spring, and snap ring all together, and normally - things will be alot snugger with the installation - and again, no rattles or looseness.

A lot of folks like the extra play though. Specially in the upper to lower fit, as it makes taking the gun down (removing the pins) a lot easier. And a little play in the action is more forgiving, in case you get some grit or grime in there - (just take a look at the fit on an AK :p) But they'll fun forever.

So, stop worrying, and hopefully you are in a part of the country that isn't in the coming of the next ICE AGE right now, and go out and enjoy your gun.

Slo