Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Del-ton stuff ok ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/del-ton-stuff-ok-54360/)

purehavoc 12-29-2011 11:48 PM

Del-ton stuff ok ?
 
Im looking for a pistol upper and PSA is out , Del-ton have a couple nice looking uppers at a reasonable price , I dont see much on their uppers , anyone have one and is it GTG ?

Quentin 12-29-2011 11:51 PM

Unfortunately that's a loaded question.

GTG?

GTG for what purpose?

purehavoc 12-30-2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 662397)
Unfortunately that's a loaded question.

GTG?

GTG for what purpose?

good to go , I guess I should have asked the question a little better , is their pistol stuff junk ? I have been prowling around and even gun broker the pistol uppers are ridiculous in price and most have no bolt or CH

Quentin 12-30-2011 12:41 AM

I know what GTG means, that's why I asked GTG for what purpose.

And that's what we still need to know! :D

I have no experience with a Del-Ton pistol upper so hopefully someone who does can help. Still, "for what purpose" may be crucial.

purehavoc 12-30-2011 12:54 AM

personal use, home defense , and plinking
DSA has a decent looking 11" upper , but yet I dont see much posted on their pistol stuff either , So Im kinda back at square one unless you got some good leads on some reasonable decent uppers , Im not opposed to a used one and long as its in good shape
Thanks PH

Quentin 12-30-2011 01:10 AM

Forgetting personal use and plinking, I've got to ask how is an AR pistol better than a quality conventional pistol of the same price range for home defense? Something like a Glock or XD with night sights and a light in 9mm or 40S&W with good JHPs and an extra mag or two on you. I think the AR pistol is at a huge disadvantage in that kind of situation.

AgentTikki 12-30-2011 02:13 AM

Who needs nights sights with an aimpoint and 240 lumens?
Extra mags? Pshaww. If it can't be done in 30 rounds, you need to run.

><

purehavoc 12-30-2011 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 662464)
Forgetting personal use and plinking, I've got to ask how is an AR pistol better than a quality conventional pistol of the same price range for home defense? Something like a Glock or XD with night sights and a light in 9mm or 40S&W with good JHPs and an extra mag or two on you. I think the AR pistol is at a huge disadvantage in that kind of situation.

I have a S&W .40 and a flash light on the night stand the wife has a 9 mm on her side .
Just looking for something outside the norm. And I want one is basically what it comes down to :D

jwsturr 12-30-2011 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 662451)
personal use, home defense , and plinking
DSA has a decent looking 11" upper , but yet I dont see much posted on their pistol stuff either , So Im kinda back at square one unless you got some good leads on some reasonable decent uppers , Im not opposed to a used one and long as its in good shape
Thanks PH

Del-ton is fine for what you're looking for. 4 to 6 weeks availability is the biggest problem. I've heard stroies that's how long it will take and then some. Maybe they've caught up by now and lead times are shorter, don't know. I ordered an upper and it took about three weeks, but that was a while back. I bought a middy from Del-ton and it went bang everytime. I've seen a lot of LMT's available lately. But used you're probably looking at the same price a the Del-ton. Personally I'm waiting for the PSA's to be available again.

Sniper03 12-30-2011 03:36 AM

Delton has had their share of problems! And I will not use PSA since they are nothing more tha Olympic receivers. Inexpensive sure! But if I am going to build a quality firearm I will choose a source of quality parts. You get what you pay for.

03

AgentTikki 12-30-2011 03:48 AM

For a backyard plinker, range toy I think delton should......"gtg"

mjkeat 12-30-2011 04:05 AM

I'm not so concerned about the receiver as long as it's in spec and not made of carbon.

Just know what you want and what will fit your needs. You get what you pay for but often times there isn't a big gap in prices.

Quentin 12-30-2011 04:29 AM

Well now that we've ruled out home defense and it comes down to personal use, plinking and "I want one" maybe Del-Ton then, maybe not. No opinion here... :D

dmp 12-30-2011 11:28 AM

I've owned a del-ton for a few years. Flawless in operation. Their customer service stinks, and I would never...ever do business with that company again, however. Screwed me over for their mistake.

purehavoc 12-30-2011 11:28 AM

Im just going to wait on the 10.5" PSA to get back in stock , So far so good on the 16" carbine I bought from them , I now have around 500+ rds thru it without any issues other than the one FTF on the first 10 rounds that I shot thru it new which Im going to attribute to a new mag . Better stuff out there ? we all know there is better, higher end stuff out there but I cant swing $1000+ for the upper I want and SO far I have had good luck with what I bought , Seems as thought the PSA pistol uppers are made by a quality manufacturer to Mil Spec . I did find a damn nice Yankee Hill 7" upper reasonable but I dont know much about them either

AgentTikki 12-30-2011 02:12 PM

Yes.....the BRD is strong with this one...........

purehavoc 12-30-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 662807)
Yes.....the BRD is strong with this one...........

BRD? I'm lost again

Glasshartt 12-30-2011 04:29 PM

We have two Del-tons, I carry mine on duty. No problems with either one.

Quentin 12-30-2011 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 662889)
BRD? I'm lost again

Then you can't come around here anymore then. :eek:
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Black rifle disease! :D:D:D

mjkeat 12-30-2011 10:32 PM

I think it should be a requirement to give a background on your shooting habits when saying things such as, "I've had ____ for two years and it's been flawless." A round count is good but doesn't tell much about the reliability of an AR. I can say I have 2k flawless rounds out of a certain rifle but in what manner were those rounds fired. 2k over a weekend in an operators carbine course is a lot different then 2k over a year, month, or even a week.

Pure, I think you will be happy w/ the PSA. I'm about to get one myself but can't decide b/w a replica of the M4 I had in the Army or the SS.

purehavoc 12-30-2011 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 663135)
I think it should be a requirement to give a background on your shooting habits when saying things such as, "I've had ____ for two years and it's been flawless." A round count is good but doesn't tell much about the reliability of an AR. I can say I have 2k flawless rounds out of a certain rifle but in what manner were those rounds fired. 2k over a weekend in an operators carbine course is a lot different then 2k over a year, month, or even a week.

Pure, I think you will be happy w/ the PSA. I'm about to get one myself but can't decide b/w a replica of the M4 I had in the Army or the SS.

MJ,
Someone from PSA finally emailed me back today , 1-2 months out on the pistol barrels but im gonna wait .

AgentTikki 12-30-2011 10:50 PM

pssssst, get a Noveske....I herd on the intranets they are quenched with the tears of virgin......

mjkeat 12-30-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 663152)
MJ,
Someone from PSA finally emailed me back today , 1-2 months out on the pistol barrels but im gonna wait .

Do you really want an AR pistol? I thought I did at one point until I spent $1300 on a Noveske upper and tried it out for myself. I felt like one of those hip firing idiots I always want to throw rocks at.

Not trying to change your mind but want to make sure you are sure before you spend your money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 663154)
pssssst, get a Noveske....I herd on the intranets they are quenched with the tears of virgin......

and the sieman of Greek Gods

AgentTikki 12-30-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat (Post 663172)
and the semen of Greek Gods

hrm.........unobtanium for sure. :P

mjkeat 12-30-2011 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 663210)
hrm.........unobtanium for sure. :P

Where do you think it all goes if the lab rejects it :)

Looks like I need to use that word more often so I can spell it correctly lol

purehavoc 12-31-2011 10:28 PM

I have done a 180 flip flop I shot my buddies 9" today and I can honestly say I really didnt like it enough to buy one and Im glad he got it out and let me shoot it before I plopped down the $$$$ , I dont know if it was my ape like arms that made it feel akward and uncomfortable or not being used to the pistol type buffer tube . Regardless, I didnt shoot it well either, Its just a whole different animal , So I shopping for a rifle upper since I already have a nice scope and mount to put on the top of it and I want to another one a little different than my current M4 .

mjkeat 12-31-2011 11:52 PM

PSA has a nice 20" kit.

Quentin 01-01-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 664028)
I have done a 180 flip flop I shot my buddies 9" today and I can honestly say I really didnt like it enough to buy one and Im glad he got it out and let me shoot it before I plopped down the $$$$ , I dont know if it was my ape like arms that made it feel akward and uncomfortable or not being used to the pistol type buffer tube . Regardless, I didnt shoot it well either, Its just a whole different animal , So I shopping for a rifle upper since I already have a nice scope and mount to put on the top of it and I want to another one a little different than my current M4 .

Whaddaya, think we've been trying to tell you that this whole thread, PH! :D

J/K, some people like AR pistols, it's just something I can't wrap my head around. I'd much rather have a true defensive pistol and carbine, not something in between that falls short on both ends.

purehavoc 01-01-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 664107)
Whaddaya, think we've been trying to tell you that this whole thread, PH! :D

J/K, some people like AR pistols, it's just something I can't wrap my head around. I'd much rather have a true defensive pistol and carbine, not something in between that falls short on both ends.

I think I'm going to copy your MOE in black another 16". I really don't want a longer barrel , if I need to have longer range accuracy I will get my savage out ;)


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:03 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.