Del-ton or Spikes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Del-ton or Spikes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Del-ton or Spikes

Hello all. I am looking to build an AR-15, and was wondering for the price of which Spikes or Del-ton is selling. Who would you go with and why?
I like the fact that Del-Ton is completely customizable from the factory. But I don't know about there quality. Does anyone have some advice, or even other brands they might recommend?? Price range I'm looking for is 650-850. I would like a 16' barrel with a 1/7 twist, crome lined. A 2 stage trigger or if someone might know a better trigger for the price. Well I'm all ears, please feel free to post. comments and opinions welcome.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMarineEJP View Post
Hello all. I am looking to build an AR-15, and was wondering for the price of which Spikes or Del-ton is selling. Who would you go with and why?
I like the fact that Del-Ton is completely customizable from the factory. But I don't know about there quality. Does anyone have some advice, or even other brands they might recommend?? Price range I'm looking for is 650-850. I would like a 16' barrel with a 1/7 twist, crome lined. A 2 stage trigger or if someone might know a better trigger for the price. Well I'm all ears, please feel free to post. comments and opinions welcome.
Given a choice between Del-Ton and Spikes I would choose Spikes. Palmetto State Armory and Rock River Arms, just to name a few, offer good quality choices at your price point. Just a question, why the need for a 2 stage trigger?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #3

Spikes lower, Del Ton upper kit! Can't go wrong!!!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I went with Rock River Arms myself, but Delton & Spikes are both solid performers. They were both on my shortlist. The Delton prices are very tempting.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Either one will serve you well. If you are talking about a lower alone, it really doesn't matter. As long as it houses the trigger and mates to the upper reasonably well, it will work and not effect accuracy, especially for the rifle you've outlined.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #6

I have had a 16" del-ton mid length kit for a few years now. Its well built and functions great. Mines not chrome lined and ive had issues with steel cased ammo but no other problems. If i build another id like to try palmetto. Heard great things about them and spikes as well.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Spikes in a bad way. Their stuff is much better. But if you're we're throwing in other options I'll put a vote in for Palmetto State. At $850 why not get a BCM?

$399 upper
$139 BCG
$269 lower
$50 VLTOR stock
$30 Magpul MOE HG = $887

The BCM as they say it is "Professional Grade"

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #8

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
... At $850 why not get a BCM?

$399 upper
$139 BCG
$269 lower
$50 VLTOR stock
$30 Magpul MOE HG = $887

The BCM as they say it is "Professional Grade"

This is the reason a few of us here keep dropping the name BCM. Round it up to $900, you're getting so much more for your money so "... why not get a BCM?"

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
This is the reason a few of us here keep dropping the name BCM. Round it up to $900, you're getting so much more for your money so "... why not get a BCM?"
I'll tell you why. Because the local **** bag gun shop doesn't carry them and you'd have to actually select multiple items to put into your online "cart". That would be to time consuming. Most aren't willing to put in the 10 minutes of research to know what they need to order to put together a complete rifle. It's much easier to over pay for some POS because it is pre assembled and the LGS employee just got done stroking your ego filling your head w/ lies about who makes a good AR. I imagine "you're not going to war", "you don't need all the extra specs, you're not an operator" and the likes come hurling out of the mouths of employees on a daily basis like word vomit. And the saddest part of it all is guys on forums back that **** up because they let some LGS cram it down their throat because they are to lazy to figure it out themselves. Either that or some d-bags Oly "runs just fine" or is "just as good" in his 100 rounds a year from a bench rest, experience.

It's BS as it's a daily occurrence. People need to stop lying to themselves and the rest of us need to stop sugar coating the truth. In the end everyone will be better off.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #10

I really do wanna build this rifle myself. I don't mind taking the time to build it and researching the best parts. I wanted to go with the del-ton lower because I can have whatever I want put in it and I also can get a laser etch of an eagle globe and anchor for free. I don't know about the durability of the lower though. I was thinking about a spikes upper because they seem a little
more well made. But it has to be crome lined, with a 1/7 twist an a fixed front site post. It's easier to keep clean and a fixed front site post has no play. I want this rifle to be as mil spec as possible. Its not gonna be just a fun shooter for me, I want it tactical and practical. I know that I will probable spend a little more on odds and ends. I have the accessories I want already picked out. I really want cheap and reliable in all situations, but i know this can be done a lot cheaper than $1500 if I build it myself. Also my military discount helps me out a little with this.