Del ton DTI 15 - anyone with longterm experience
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Del ton DTI 15 - anyone with longterm experience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Del ton DTI 15 - anyone with longterm experience

I have been wanting an AR15 for years and on a salesman's recommendation I picked-up a Del ton a few weeks ago. I have enjoyed 500 flawless rounds, and great groupings at 50 yards (my indoor range limit). I have found limited information on online, which have been predominantly positive. The price was a much less than I had planned to spend and many of my cosmetic preferences were included. I keep waiting for the punchline. I typically get what I pay for. What am I missing or what should I be looking for?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The low price was due to several factors that you probably will never miss. Things like thickness of the Anodizing, sanding off the flashing on the forging, standard 4140CM with no chrome lining, or thin chrome lining. Non-MP tested parts. Non-shot peened parts.

Just remember all rilfes break at some point. Be ready for it. Buy a Field repair kit (has some pins and the hammer / trigger springs) or an extra Lower parts Kit and an extra Bolt.

DTi makes a good solid shooter.

Last edited by Fixer; 05-07-2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: spelling, of course...

Old 05-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Chrome moly vanadium heavy barrel, according to the information I have. Is this good or bad?

Old 05-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #4

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by connectegr View Post
Chrome moly vanadium heavy barrel, according to the information I have. Is this good or bad?
It's all right, depends on what YOU want. CMV won't last as long as chrome lined but can be more accurate, again, depends on what you want and the conditions you'll place the rifle in. CL usually adds $50+ to CMV and it's something I always get.

For your first question Fixer pretty much got that covered for you. DTI usually is a decent starter AR. If (no, WHEN) you buy a second you may want to look at other brands. My first upper receiver was ArmaLite which was the best I could find during the rush on ARs in 2008/9. It's ok like DTI but today I wouldn't buy that brand.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #5

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
It's all right, depends on what YOU want. CMV won't last as long as chrome lined but can be more accurate, again, depends on what you want and the conditions you'll place the rifle in. CL usually adds $50+ to CMV and it's something I always get.

For your first question Fixer pretty much got that covered for you. DTI usually is a decent starter AR. If (no, WHEN) you buy a second you may want to look at other brands. My first upper receiver was ArmaLite which was the best I could find during the rush on ARs in 2008/9. It's ok like DTI but today I wouldn't buy that brand.
All true but today with stripped lowers and other parts coming in and out of stock faster than you can get your order placed I would just be happy to grab what I could and sort them all out after the smoke clears.

Quote:
I have been wanting an AR15 for years and on a salesman's recommendation I picked-up a Del ton a few weeks ago. I have enjoyed 500 flawless rounds, and great groupings at 50 yards (my indoor range limit). I have found limited information on online, which have been predominantly positive. The price was a much less than I had planned to spend and many of my cosmetic preferences were included. I keep waiting for the punchline. I typically get what I pay for. What am I missing or what should I be looking for?
By the way congrats on your new AR , Have fun with it !!!!!!

Old 05-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
CMV is a type of barrel steel. They add 10% more carbon to the mix and create a steel base of 4150 CM (CM= Chrome moly). 4140 CM is the standard weapons grade steel. They then also mix in Vanadium to create a CMV mix. This was done to extend the life of the barrel for abusive enviroments. There is a draw back to this, but unless you are going to be buying a select fire (full auto) you don't need to worry about it.

4150CMV is no better or worse the 4140CM, 4150CM, 416SS or even FNH M249 since you are just using it on a semiauto civy carbine. Only in your wildest dreams will you see a problem with the DTi 4150CMV barrel.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:19 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks for the comments. Del ton was not on the radar as I did my research. It is not in my nature to purchase something then do the research. The more I learn, the more I appreciate the guidance of the salesman. Got a great buy, which means I can afford to shoot more.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

No Problem man. Pick yourself up a Ceiner, Spikes or CMMG .22lr conversion system so you can shoot your AR15 even cheaper. Its the best .22lr rifle you can buy for $150.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have now shot 800 flawless rounds. Bench rest accuracy is excellent. Standing at 15-25 yards with RDS, has been equally perfect. I have shot Rock River and Colt AR's and the differences are indistinguishable. There are obvious expenses for paint job, accessory rails, optics, etc. Mine came with all Magpul accessories. These would have cost extra on the Colt, S&W, and Sig that were originally at the top of my list.

What am I missing, compared to the expensive AR's on the wall at my gun store? I am not talking about the specialized weapons, but compared to other 16" milspec AR's. At half the money I am surprised that DTI is not recommended more on these sites.

Why doesn't Del ton (DTI) get more credit?

Old 05-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #10

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

They just don't have the reputation for being as reliable as others that cost slightly more, during regular use.