Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Del-Ton Complete Uppers Good or Bad??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/del-ton-complete-uppers-good-bad-45702/)

Snakedriver 07-23-2011 10:18 PM

Del-Ton Complete Uppers Good or Bad???

Now that my lower is built, I'm doing my research trying to narrow down my choices in complete uppers. I'm curious to know the opinions of those who have built their own AR's on whether anyone has had good succes witha Del-Ton upper. They look good and I can get a custom build ftom them in 4-6 weeks for a decent price. How are Del-Ton's for accuracy? I've decided to go for a 5.56mm, 16" mid-length, 1:9 chrome-moly barrel, no chrome lining, and standard A2 flash hider.

Snakedriver 07-24-2011 01:19 PM

24 Reads and no Replies?.......................that's a bad sign!!! :eek:

Gatoragn 07-24-2011 02:31 PM

From what I have read from other posts on here, DelTon makes good uppers. There kit rifles generally receive favorable reviews. If you decide to purchase a DT, I'll wager it will punch holes in paper and varmints with no problems.

However, there are many members that are of the opinion it is better to spend the money to get a Daniel Defense, BCM (Bravo Company), etc.

Palmetto State Armory has what appears to be some good uppers at great prices right now.

If I wanted another upper in 5.56 right now I would order this one for $429.00

Palmetto State Armory 16" SS Mid-length Wylde 1/8 Twist

canebrake 07-24-2011 02:49 PM

When I built mine I went with a RRA upper. I'm happy, they make a good product and do it with no marketing drama.

Rock River Arms: Standard A4 Upper Half

$490.00 with a chromed BCG is tough to beat!

IGETEVEN 07-24-2011 03:06 PM

Sorry, not ignoring, just missed the thread. :o

Nothing wrong with a DelTon upper, but they are not "mil-spec" if you wanted that or if that makes a difference.

mjkeat 07-24-2011 03:32 PM

I wouldn't go w/ a delton kit. From my research, I was interesting in purchasing one for myself, by the time you equip one w/ the options available from other manufacturers you weren't saving any money.

Snakedriver 07-24-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 548974)
When I built mine I went with a RRA upper. I'm happy, they make a good product and do it with no marketing drama.

Rock River Arms: Standard A4 Upper Half

$490.00 with a chromed BCG is tough to beat!

Thanks Canebrake, The Rock River you listed is curently my first choice. The only downside I see with Rock River is their extended delivery times. All my lower inner parts are Rock River, so going with the Rock River upper seems like a slam dunk.

The Del-Ton is just something I stumbled upon while doing my research and thought I'd ask the experts who have done it before.

BTW the Del-Ton websight says the upper I'm looking at is mil-spec with "T" marked receiver and "F marked" A2 front sight. The price is $100 less than the Rock River. While I'm not trying to go cheap, I'm just curious about the differences.

Thanks for the opinions from everyone, I'm on the learning curve. :)

Glasshartt 07-24-2011 05:59 PM

We have one complete Del-ton and not complaints at all. Just ordered another kit to put on a lower that is in the safe. It was ordered Friday, I will let you know when I find out an estimated delivery time. Going with the heavy barrel 1-9 twist 16"

2hot2handle 07-24-2011 06:08 PM

I went with a Del-Ton complete upper for my build and it has performed flawlessly. Fit my lower with very little play. I'd recommend it. It was one of the best priced options when I built mine 3 years ago.

IGETEVEN 07-24-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakedriver (Post 549075)
BTW the Del-Ton websight says the upper I'm looking at is mil-spec with "T" marked receiver and "F marked" A2 front sight. The price is $100 less than the Rock River. While I'm not trying to go cheap, I'm just curious about the differences.

Thanks for the opinions from everyone, I'm on the learning curve. :)

Well i'll be damned! :o

Didn't use to be that way, it's been a while, guess they have seen the light. :)