Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Deer hunting load (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/deer-hunting-load-92730/)

cblowe13 06-23-2013 08:31 AM

Deer hunting load
 
What is best deer hunting load for 5x56 or .223? Want to make sure it's the most piercing round . Don't want to only injure a deer

Jagermeister 06-23-2013 08:47 AM

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/white-tail-deer-hunting-ar-15-5-56x45-92640/

cblowe13 06-23-2013 12:06 PM

I read that is before, doesn't have anything about ammo to use

Jagermeister 06-23-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblowe13 (Post 1284168)
I read that is before, doesn't have anything about ammo to use

http://www.frankonia.de/202348/123874/productdetail.html?pagingSize=32&lastSelected=f_s_ marke&sortOption=f_n_sortmatrix_70_30_30_30&f_s_ma rke=Sellier+--+Bellot&page=0&displayType=gallery&f_s_kaliber=.22 3+Rem.&articleNumber=60155&navCategoryId=6808

So it doesn't! Ok, this is what I hunt with. Sellier and Bellot. It is available in the states too. I would only hunt small Roe deer though. I also use it for fox. For bigger game I would recommend .308 (AR10), but they are much more expensive guns. I found the optimal shot with .223 is a heart chamber shot at no more than 100 meters. Others would disagree with this advice, but I am thinking about the quick, humane one shot kill. Waidmannsheil! Good harvesting!

cblowe13 06-23-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagermeister

http://www.frankonia.de/202348/123874/productdetail.html?pagingSize=32&lastSelected=f_s_ marke&sortOption=f_n_sortmatrix_70_30_30_30&f_s_ma rke=Sellier+--+Bellot&page=0&displayType=gallery&f_s_kaliber=.22 3+Rem.&articleNumber=60155&navCategoryId=6808

So it doesn't! Ok, this is what I hunt with. Sellier and Bellot. It is available in the states too. I would only hunt small Roe deer though. I also use it for fox. For bigger game I would recommend .308 (AR10), but they are much more expensive guns. I found the optimal shot with .223 is a heart chamber shot at no more than 100 meters. Others would disagree with this advice, but I am thinking about the quick, humane one shot kill. Waidmannsheil! Good harvesting!

There we go thank you for your opinion! I wouldn't shoot a deer over 150 yards with .223 unless I have an absolute clean head shot but even then I doubt it

SSGN_Doc 06-23-2013 12:57 PM

Winchester Power Points on small whitetail taken close. There are other lads that use bonded or solid copper hollow point bullets as well. Big challenge for the .223 up close for penetration is getting the bullets to hold together.

cblowe13 06-23-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Winchester Power Points on small whitetail taken close. There are other lads that use bonded or solid copper hollow point bullets as well. Big challenge for the .223 up close for penetration is getting the bullets to hold together.

What's your suggestion for around 100 yards

7.62 Man 06-23-2013 03:04 PM

.458 SOCOM is what we use in Indiana.

SSGN_Doc 06-23-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblowe13 (Post 1284255)
What's your suggestion for around 100 yards

Those same Winchester power points or other bonded or solid bullet load in a upper weight of 62gr or higher. If you use a 20" barrel the bullet will still be likely to be traveling over 2400 fps where jackets tend to fail on impact.

SSGN_Doc 06-23-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7.62 Man (Post 1284306)
.458 SOCOM is what we use in Indiana.

Thought he was asking specifically about 5.56 or .223 loads.

In the south in tight woods with small deer, .223 can be effective. Not ideal, but humane kills can be made. You have to know you have your shot perfect. You have to have a load that will hold together. Deer in the 90-120 lb range are probably the best candidates. If a big old buck walks in I'd probably cuss and pass on the shot.

Indiana corn fed monster deer should have a heavier caliber used, same as some the big mule deer out west.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:27 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.