Decisions decisions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Decisions decisions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Default Decisions decisions

Just got started on a new Ar build. So far I have a Alexander manufacturing striped lower and a cmmg lpk. I have no idea what I won't to do with it. So I'm asking for some input. If you were building a Ar what would you use. Something in the back of my head is telling me to build it for long range. Any recommendation on parts and caliber?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I guessing this is your first AR? I only guess that because most second AR builds have a plan. Like really specific, stuff that didn't make it onto the first one.

Are you going to hunt with it? 3 gun? defense? all of the above? I'd say nail down what its intended use will be, then we can start bombarding you with opinions

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson
Quentin Likes This 
Old 05-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog
I guessing this is your first AR? I only guess that because most second AR builds have a plan. Like really specific, stuff that didn't make it onto the first one.

Are you going to hunt with it? 3 gun? defense? all of the above? I'd say nail down what its intended use will be, then we can start bombarding you with opinions
Not my first AR but it is my first build. It's probably going to be for those pesky zombies at 1000 yards.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #4

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
... It's probably going to be for those pesky zombies at 1000 yards.
The slow ones that shuffle around or the ones that can run? Makes a difference at that distance!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Cattledog Likes This 
Old 05-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

6.5 Grendel if you reload. 1000 yards is doable with .223, but you'll probably have to make a lot of sacrifices.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
6.5 Grendel if you reload. 1000 yards is doable with .223, but you'll probably have to make a lot of sacrifices.
I think I am going to go with the Grendel. Dose anyone know what the best barrel, bcg, and trigger would be for this set up?

Old 05-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #7

6.5 Grendel or .264 LBC are effectually the same, with minor differences and pretty much interchangeable. Look for both.

Do you reload? Factory ammo is hard to find and expensive.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #8

BTw the only thing different between them and a standard AR15 is barrel, bolt and magazine.

Everything else is standard.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15

I think I am going to go with the Grendel. Dose anyone know what the best barrel, bcg, and trigger would be for this set up?
I would look into reloading if you are going with A Grendel. Ammo cost is about $1.00 per round. As far as for zombies, I'd build something lightweight. If there ever was a zombie invasion, the extra pound or two will make a difference in fatigue. I'd stick with .223/5.56 purely because of cost of the Grendel round.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk

I would look into reloading if you are going with A Grendel. Ammo cost is about $1.00 per round. As far as for zombies, I'd build something lightweight. If there ever was a zombie invasion, the extra pound or two will make a difference in fatigue. I'd stick with .223/5.56 purely because of cost of the Grendel round.
I'm definitely going to reload for it. I already have AR's in 5.56. The way I see it is I can only shoot one at a time so why not build something different.