Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Decisions decisions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/decisions-decisions-91036/)

lbwar15 05-21-2013 05:31 PM

Decisions decisions

Just got started on a new Ar build. So far I have a Alexander manufacturing striped lower and a cmmg lpk. I have no idea what I won't to do with it. So I'm asking for some input. If you were building a Ar what would you use. Something in the back of my head is telling me to build it for long range. Any recommendation on parts and caliber?

Cattledog 05-21-2013 05:39 PM

I guessing this is your first AR? I only guess that because most second AR builds have a plan. Like really specific, stuff that didn't make it onto the first one.

Are you going to hunt with it? 3 gun? defense? all of the above? I'd say nail down what its intended use will be, then we can start bombarding you with opinions :D

lbwar15 05-21-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cattledog
I guessing this is your first AR? I only guess that because most second AR builds have a plan. Like really specific, stuff that didn't make it onto the first one.

Are you going to hunt with it? 3 gun? defense? all of the above? I'd say nail down what its intended use will be, then we can start bombarding you with opinions :D

Not my first AR but it is my first build. It's probably going to be for those pesky zombies at 1000 yards.

Quentin 05-21-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbwar15 (Post 1253779)
... It's probably going to be for those pesky zombies at 1000 yards.

The slow ones that shuffle around or the ones that can run? Makes a difference at that distance! :D

AgentTikki 05-21-2013 08:01 PM

6.5 Grendel if you reload. 1000 yards is doable with .223, but you'll probably have to make a lot of sacrifices.

lbwar15 05-22-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki
6.5 Grendel if you reload. 1000 yards is doable with .223, but you'll probably have to make a lot of sacrifices.

I think I am going to go with the Grendel. Dose anyone know what the best barrel, bcg, and trigger would be for this set up?

AgentTikki 05-22-2013 08:25 PM

6.5 Grendel or .264 LBC are effectually the same, with minor differences and pretty much interchangeable. Look for both.

Do you reload? Factory ammo is hard to find and expensive.

AgentTikki 05-22-2013 08:26 PM

BTw the only thing different between them and a standard AR15 is barrel, bolt and magazine.

Everything else is standard.

Squawk 05-22-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbwar15

I think I am going to go with the Grendel. Dose anyone know what the best barrel, bcg, and trigger would be for this set up?

I would look into reloading if you are going with A Grendel. Ammo cost is about $1.00 per round. As far as for zombies, I'd build something lightweight. If there ever was a zombie invasion, the extra pound or two will make a difference in fatigue. I'd stick with .223/5.56 purely because of cost of the Grendel round.

lbwar15 05-22-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squawk

I would look into reloading if you are going with A Grendel. Ammo cost is about $1.00 per round. As far as for zombies, I'd build something lightweight. If there ever was a zombie invasion, the extra pound or two will make a difference in fatigue. I'd stick with .223/5.56 purely because of cost of the Grendel round.

I'm definitely going to reload for it. I already have AR's in 5.56. The way I see it is I can only shoot one at a time so why not build something different.