Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Decided on 6.5 Grendel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Decided on 6.5 Grendel

With a lot of thought and moderate ballistic research I have decided to go with the 6.8 on my 2nd build. I am only doing the upper and I really want to assemble it myself. Is this a little over ambitious considering I have only "built" one AR and I assembled the lower and ordered the upper complete? I would also like to know if y'all have any preferred manufacturers on parts. Mainly the important stuff BCG, barrel, ect. I can handle the aesthetics with a little help from a Troy BattleRail, or VTAC. Thanks

No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #2

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Sounds good to me, why did you end up going with the 6.8 Grendel?

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Last edited by Gloves; 01-26-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #3

I'm not sure what you chose - your title is 6.5 and your post is 6.8. There is nothing about those two that are similar and there is frankjly a lot of stupidity about which one is better - its like comparing candles to oranges.

Nope not at all ambitious, it's prudent. check out Hamlund Tactical NiB BCG - or you can run a phosphate coated one - there is no affect on performance, the former is just easier to clean.

When you torque on you muzzle device - make sure your barrel is in the vice and you aren't torquing the receiver - you will bend the barrel extension alignment pin (speaking from experience here). Also, ususally these are "timed" meaning they are oriented. If it has a crush washer, you'll be doing this for a bit until it's where you need it to be. It's an easy assembly

Old 01-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I apologize for my illiteracy! I don't know where the 6.8 came from. I am going with the 6.5 Grendel because of the effectiveness down range. I was torn between several different calibers all which would serve different purposes, but my conclusion was that I want something that will reach past 500-600 yards no problem and run on the standard AR platform.

Thank you for the advice and tips thus far. I would also like to know if anyone has a preferred brand of tools. This is where I have to start, and at the moment I have nothing for an upper assembly. Blocks, wrenches, smithing tools. If you know of any that are better than the rest (but still affordable) please let me know.

No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:20 PM   #5

Brownells is a great source for tools, but honestly get a list of what you want and price shop them. There is no brand per se that is better than others - and a brand name that does the same as a no brand name is going to cost you more.