Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Decent single stage trigger on the market? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/decent-single-stage-trigger-market-53625/)

triggernomic 12-15-2011 07:42 AM

Decent single stage trigger on the market?

I have several AR stripped lowers, yet to put a trigger group in any of them. I'm interested in a good single-stage trigger that has a light pull (2 to 3 lbs would be nice) that costs less than or equal to $100. I've done some searching and I can only find the el-cheapo $10 trigs or the all-out match triggers $200 and up. Any middle ground out there? 4 triggers at $250 would equal $1000, just in triggers. Eff that. Need something cheaper but decent, reliable quality.

spittinfire 12-15-2011 10:20 AM

How about this? I've used them and they are great. Very smooth, clean break and reliable, reset is quick...

Bill Springfield - www.TriggerWork.net

triggernomic 12-15-2011 10:25 AM

That doesn't look bad at all. Thanks :)

AgentTikki 12-15-2011 12:29 PM

2-3 lbs seems a bit light........

+1 on bill talked with him on the phone, real nice guy.

mjkeat 12-15-2011 02:32 PM

The info linked was my first thought. I have seen his name on other forums as well.

hardluk1 12-15-2011 02:34 PM

A 2lb trigger might feel light to many that only or main shoot military based 2 stage triggers but for many that grew up shooting hunting rifles 4lbs can feel heavy and 2lb is just about right. Only concederation with a 2lb in and a 5.56 AR i could see is would it strick hard enough to fire the primers that are used by many for mili spec ammo. Bill Springfield my have a opinion on that to help guide with a choice.

AgentTikki 12-15-2011 03:06 PM

He'd have to lighten the hammer. He offers that choice, but it costs a little bit more (understandable imo).

If you are looking for a precision type trigger, I'd honestly recommend a 2 stage. Its always nice to know exactly when its gonna breaks.

triggernomic 12-15-2011 03:13 PM

Friend of mine has a 2.5lb glock trigger. That's what it's supposed to be, anyways. Might be slightly more. It feels nice. It breaks when I expect it to get tight where a 2 stage trigger usually ends the first stage. This works to me more like a single stage, and I don't really like that dead space at the end of the first stage where it gets tight. I don't want it to go off on accident, though, so maybe a 3+ trigger will work. I know 6 is too, too much.

My dad's AR supposedly has about 9lbs trigger pull with a stag trigger? It is a smooth trigger but it has a ton of travel to me. Not something I'd want out of the box. Something shorter and lighter would be nice.

AgentTikki 12-15-2011 04:12 PM

Try and see if your local gun store has one of those display models with a 2 stage trigger on it. That way you get to play with one before you buy it. My personal experience is that I didn't really want a 2 stage trigger. I wanted a single stage, but after some range time behind one, and some classes, I now prefer them.

A good two stage has a fairly light and smooth first stage.

When you squeeze it slowly, you'll hit the 2nd stage, like a wall, then another 1# or 2# (depending on how its set up) it'll break. Your finger will know exactly when it breaks. This is why precision shooters like 2 stage trigger, no guess work when it breaks.

When you pull it quickly, you won't even notice the second stage, it'll be one nice pull.

2-3 # seems awful light man. Remember and AR trigger doesn't travel as long as a Glock's. Even my Geissele SDE and SSA-E is set at 3.5# and that's as light as I'd go. My SDC and SSA are about 5.5# and they are great combat style weights.

Disclaimer: I'm contemplating dropping some dough on a Geiseele SD3G single stage....but haven't pulled the proverbial trigger on it yet....I am giving it some serious consideration tho.......

triggernomic 12-15-2011 04:20 PM

I'll go check it out. Our local stores usually only have one used AR in stock at any given time, and a wall full of AK's. The likelyhood of finding an actual nice AR would be slim, but there's gotta be someone at the range.

I think my friend's glock trigger is adjustable. It is almost instantly at the break point, and there is nearly no resistence feel before it breaks. It's like butter. Whereas my dad's AR trigger is pull, pull, pull, OMG.