Decent quality kits for a build?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Decent quality kits for a build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Decent quality kits for a build?

I have looked at a lot of businesses that offer AR build kits. There's Del Ton, J&T, M&A Parts, Model 1 Sales, and Blackthorne Products. Also, there are others who are more expensive.
Any feedback or experience that you can give me on them? I want to get decent parts if I decide to build, but I want to get a decent value as well. I know there are others that are more expensive, but if I build this, it will be my wife's rifle. She wants to learn to shoot centerfire now so that she can move up to deer hunting in a year or two, but she will likely not use it much when she moves up to 243 for deer. She's graduated from 22 rimfire, so she wants to try 223 now. I may use it for varmints later, but I don't varmint hunt much, just the occasional coyote or feral hog.

Blackthorne is the least costly, but I know nothing about them other than what is on their site. I have heard a couple of bad things about Model 1 and M&A Parts kits, though I have had others say they are good.

Thanks for any assistance with this.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2008, 12:31 AM   #2

Have you built one before? I purchased my first one as a complete rifle. I felt that building one was too much for me at the moment. Hopefully I can build one myself before they are banned... :\

Simon

XD-9 SubCompact -- Walther P22 -- Savage 110 -- Mossberg 835 -- Ruger 10/22 -- Bushmaster 16" AR-15

Old 02-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #3

I've built many things before, but this will be my 1st AR build, if we decide to go this route. We may just go straight to the .243, don't know, but just trying to do my homework before we cross that bridge, ya know? I am very interested in the Blackthorne kit, but I do not want junk as my one of my sons will end up with whatever result there is. I want a safe, reliable, and accurate arm. Dull knives and arms that don't hit their mark do not interest me.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:16 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

hell aint no difference then 22 and 223 other then ones louder and a tad faster lol go for the 6.5 Grendel instead

Old 03-13-2008, 05:01 AM   #5

Dude I would never say I know alot bout building one the best way but maybe this will help.( if you are still checking this) I got a POF stripped lower, dpms parts kit, and a beowolf .50 upper. Now the .50 ain't for long range but you will kill whatever you hit with it no doubt. The best part about the lower is, you can put different caliber uppers on it legally. It is stamped multi on the side. My friend assembled for me so don't about how. I would definelty start with that lower.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:28 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3017 Times on 1572 Posts
Likes Given: 289

Good luck finding ammo for that Grendle. Save a few hundred bucks and get a 5.56 set up and buy some ammo. Practice. It does not matter how uber tactical the rifle or caliber is. If you cannot hit the target, you are pi$$ing in the wind. .50 Beowolf? I don't see the point unless you are planning on hunting really big hogs in close quarters. My .45-70 will do what ever the Beowolf will do at half the price.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #7

After reading Robocop's reply, I just wanted to know I was only recommending the Patriot Ordnance Factory lower for already stated reasons.
Lastly can your 45-70 hold 10 rounds?