Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Decent quality kits for a build? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/decent-quality-kits-build-3432/)

illbfrank 02-24-2008 08:32 PM

Decent quality kits for a build?

I have looked at a lot of businesses that offer AR build kits. There's Del Ton, J&T, M&A Parts, Model 1 Sales, and Blackthorne Products. Also, there are others who are more expensive.
Any feedback or experience that you can give me on them? I want to get decent parts if I decide to build, but I want to get a decent value as well. I know there are others that are more expensive, but if I build this, it will be my wife's rifle. She wants to learn to shoot centerfire now so that she can move up to deer hunting in a year or two, but she will likely not use it much when she moves up to 243 for deer. She's graduated from 22 rimfire, so she wants to try 223 now. I may use it for varmints later, but I don't varmint hunt much, just the occasional coyote or feral hog.

Blackthorne is the least costly, but I know nothing about them other than what is on their site. I have heard a couple of bad things about Model 1 and M&A Parts kits, though I have had others say they are good.

Thanks for any assistance with this.

SimonTuffGuy 02-25-2008 11:31 PM

Have you built one before? I purchased my first one as a complete rifle. I felt that building one was too much for me at the moment. Hopefully I can build one myself before they are banned... :\

illbfrank 02-26-2008 12:40 PM

I've built many things before, but this will be my 1st AR build, if we decide to go this route. We may just go straight to the .243, don't know, but just trying to do my homework before we cross that bridge, ya know? I am very interested in the Blackthorne kit, but I do not want junk as my one of my sons will end up with whatever result there is. I want a safe, reliable, and accurate arm. Dull knives and arms that don't hit their mark do not interest me.

Righteous 02-27-2008 01:16 AM

hell aint no difference then 22 and 223 other then ones louder and a tad faster lol go for the 6.5 Grendel instead

kirby62 03-13-2008 04:01 AM

Dude I would never say I know alot bout building one the best way but maybe this will help.( if you are still checking this) I got a POF stripped lower, dpms parts kit, and a beowolf .50 upper. Now the .50 ain't for long range but you will kill whatever you hit with it no doubt. The best part about the lower is, you can put different caliber uppers on it legally. It is stamped multi on the side. My friend assembled for me so don't about how. I would definelty start with that lower.

robocop10mm 03-13-2008 01:28 PM

Good luck finding ammo for that Grendle. Save a few hundred bucks and get a 5.56 set up and buy some ammo. Practice. It does not matter how uber tactical the rifle or caliber is. If you cannot hit the target, you are pi$$ing in the wind. .50 Beowolf? I don't see the point unless you are planning on hunting really big hogs in close quarters. My .45-70 will do what ever the Beowolf will do at half the price.

kirby62 03-13-2008 08:15 PM

After reading Robocop's reply, I just wanted to know I was only recommending the Patriot Ordnance Factory lower for already stated reasons.
Lastly can your 45-70 hold 10 rounds?