decent ar 15 to start with? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > decent ar 15 to start with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlken View Post
Can you elaborate a little on the Bushmaster QC issues? I just bought one and this is not something I really like to hear. It's my first AR and I hate to think I made a mistake.
Carrier gas keys with issues, there were also reports the screws are not to spec, mag issues. Although it happens with all manufacturers it was becoming a bigger problem with BM from my understanding (based on reading from other owners). One of the original guys split off and created Windham Weaponry (irreconcilable differences I guess).

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #32

Thank you for the info Silverado! I guess time will tell if I made a big mistake. Obviously, I should have done a little research before I bought. Unfortunately, I trusted the sales person's opinion and I know that there are some products the store doesn't sell, such as the Leupold Rifleman scope because they don't like the fact that it's not American made! Still, I usually research things better before I buy. Thanks again.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:44 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlken View Post
Thank you for the info Silverado! I guess time will tell if I made a big mistake. Obviously, I should have done a little research before I bought. Unfortunately, I trusted the sales person's opinion and I know that there are some products the store doesn't sell, such as the Leupold Rifleman scope because they don't like the fact that it's not American made! Still, I usually research things better before I buy. Thanks again.
You didn't make a mistake, if you like the rifle and it goes bang when it's supposed to that is all that matters. No different than any other manufacturer they will all have problems on something at one point in time. It's how they fix it that matters.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 10-27-2012, 03:23 AM   #34

Thanks friend! That makes me feel better! I just got it and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, so hopefully it'll go bang when I pull the trigger. I hope I get to go this weekend! I haven't shot one but one time, and that was probably 20 years ago, so I'm really looking forward to it! I'm not only new to AR's, I'm also new to this web site and it's good to have somewhere I can go for information! I do appreciate you responding and look forward to talking again! Who knows.....maybe on another forum! I do have other guns!

Old 10-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #35

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

Its on par with the mp15 quality wise but you pay 50% more for no reason other than the ruger stamp.
The ruger 556 is a gas piston driven ar the gas piston AR 15 is supposed to be more reliable because all of the gas is not blown back into the the reciever and carbon wont build up into the bolt it allows the pieces inside to last longer not sure if m&p is gas piston i think they use direct impingement gas system not sure but if rugger cost more its probably because of the gas piston system!

Old 10-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #36

Liked 94 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 151

How about the Del-Ton Sport. Any thoughts on it for an entry level AR15?

Old 10-29-2012, 12:06 AM   #37

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I know only one person who has a Del-Ton. He has no complaints with it.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 10-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #38

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I have bought 2 deltons one for my son and one for my daughter there has been no issues with either one

Old 10-29-2012, 02:31 AM   #39

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Windham weaponry src is a good one

Old 10-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscho View Post
How about the Del-Ton Sport. Any thoughts on it for an entry level AR15?
Del-Ton has been good to the people that own them, personally I haven't handled one yet, but for a little more I like PSA or Core15's entry level ARs.

Member: