Daniel Defense warranty work
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Daniel Defense warranty work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Daniel Defense warranty work

I have a Daniel Defense M4 URG V2 upper that I sent back for some warranty work. I continued to have failure to feed issues with a variety of ammunition and was seeing that the rounds were getting caught up on the feed ramp. The barrel extension is textured and gritty almost like sandpaper. From all of my hundreds of hours cleaning M16s and M4 in the Marines and the national guard, I never remember barrel extensions being this way, they were always smooth steel.

I returned the upper two weeks ago and today I get this reply.

"The armor states he’s done quite a bit of work to it. He believes it may be the “Gritty” phosphate inside the barrel extension. So at this point we are going to replace the barrel. We don’t have them in stock now. As soon as they come into stock we will grab one and test it. I will see if we can get a time line."

What do you all think of this reply? what do you think the issue is and does it warrant a new barrel?

thanks for the input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-21-2011, 01:31 AM   #2

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Sorry to hear of this problem, hope it gets resolved quickly.

Often the barrel extension and barrel are treated as a single unit and I guess that's the reason they're replacing it as a unit but you'd think DD has the resources to change just the extension.

Barrels and upper receivers have been in short supply at many vendors for much of this year and it seems to have hit DD pretty hard, even though they should have an advantage due to making their own barrels...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5982 Times on 3130 Posts
Likes Given: 426

they prolly dont make the actual barrel from scratch. they prolly buy blanks and bore/rifle/chamber or some all one combination of those.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-21-2011, 01:59 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

That's to bad but I'd say you're lucky you had this problem w/ DD and not one of the other manufacturers you hear horror stories about.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:01 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

as for the customer service side of the story, plain and simple its great. I was looking on the website and its said to retain the original receipt for warranty work, I was worried because I bought this used from a gun store. When I called DD they didn't ask for the receipt, they emailed me a UPS label and said they would fix it. I was worried about not hearing anything for two weeks, but besides that I think they are doing an excellent job and are living up to their reputation as being an excellent company to work with.

Thank you Daniel Defense, fix my baby and bring it back home my lower misses it and the critters around here are getting bold.

Last edited by sgttessnc; 09-21-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #6

I believe Daniel Defense does make their own barrels, they certainly say they are "a leading manufacturer of barrels for the AR15/M4 platform". And their CHF barrels are considered among the best in the business.

Definitely keep us up to date on how it goes, sgttessnc, and good luck!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #7

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm surprised that their smith couldn't simply smooth the questionable area.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 09-21-2011, 06:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
I'm surprised that their smith couldn't simply smooth the questionable area.
I've been wondering that myself! Seems like an easily fixable problem but we haven't seen the upper and DD has, so there must be more to the problem than we know about.

______

Old 10-16-2011, 02:29 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I received my upper back two weeks ago and I took it out to the range today. No FTF and no feeding problems whatsoever. There are no more explanations about the barrel replacement but I'll take a new one. My rifle now performs like a well oiled machine. Thank you Daniel Defense for following up on you word and righting a mistake. 200 rounds without a hiccup.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:10 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thats a great turn around.