Daniel defense or sig 516 ?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Daniel defense or sig 516 ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 05:20 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 64

DD enough said!

Old 09-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Well damn I guess that settles that argument

Old 09-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2561 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

P_town,

I got in this discussion a little late! But I also would choose the Daniel Defense AR. There are no better barrels made than Chrome Molly Vanadium Barrels. Known as 4150 and Mil Spec. #11595. As far as DI compared to Piston. Nothing wrong with any of the two if in the case of a piston gun, if the gun was designed to be a piston gun. Some of the cheap conversions are quite frankly junk and will create damage to the rifle it is installed. So with that said for the money as well as reliability (Nothing wrong with the Sig) I would go with the DD Rifle! The only thing I would add later is a Rock River 2 Stage National Match Trigger and KNS Anti Rotate Hammer and Trigger Pins.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 09-08-2012, 01:56 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 245 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I'm sure they're both fine rifles.

But for an $1100-1500 SHTF rifle, Dan Defense is really tough to beat. It's what I chose (M4v3). The super light weight (6 lbs) was a pretty big factor in my decision. But if you don't mind adding another pound or so, other manufacturers might make plenty of sense as well.

Mine is feather-weight stock, apart from swapping the vertical grip for an AFG...

Last edited by sweeper22; 09-08-2012 at 01:59 AM.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #15

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

DD.

Sig's a new kid on the AR block.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default sig 516

i just bought one two days ago. its gas piston.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default sig vs 516

I owned a dd sold it ,loved it. havent shot my sig yet.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:40 PM   #18

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve0328 View Post
I owned a dd sold it ,loved it. havent shot my sig yet.
No worries you'll come back to the DI shortly . My buddy bought sold his BCM to buy a Sig and he is in the process of selling the Sig to buy back a another BCM . I tried to tell him it but he never listens and he just likes to spend money . His biggest complaint was the clip for the folding stock broke right away but they did fix it and not near as dirty in the heart of it all

Old 03-19-2013, 02:09 AM   #19

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

I am a bit late to this thread, but since I own both a DDM4 and a SIG516, I think my opinion is relevant:

The Daniel Defense in a great rifle, and the lack of good finish or workmanship of the "other" Sig the SIG 556 Classic rifles have given SIG a black eye as of late...I had a SIG 556 before and thought it quite crude in many ways..... so I am not a SIG fanboy.

BUT the SIG 516 is NOT the same as the SIG 556.. it is MUCH better!!!!......

the SIG 516 Gives up NOTHING to the Daniel defense in workmanship, looks, accuracy and feel. IMO the SIG516 is a true 100% Tier 1 rifle in a piston flavor

The fit between upper and lower on my SIG 516 is even tigther than on my DDM4V5 (and tighter than on the LMT CQB MRP I just picked up yesterday!)

As for accuracy I have not seen any difference between the 2 (though in fairness to both I have done only short range shooting with either)

Both have CMV CHF CL barrels in 1 in 7 surrounded by free float rails.

Both shoot very smooth, the urban legend that a piston rifle has to shoot less smooth than a DI is just that, an urban legend.
My SIG shoots buttery smooth, doesnt feel front heavy either.
The 3 postion gas regulator gives me the confidence to be able to shoot even the weakest 223 w/o any short cycling and to shoot the hottest 5.56 w/o any overrcycling.

The piston design in the SIG 516 is different and distinct from that of the SIG 556 ( the latter, but not the former, is an americanized version of the Swiss army rifle).

There is a growing school of thought that maintains the high end pistons like the 516 doent really need to be cleaned after every outing or maybe evenb hardly at all...more like when the barrell starts seeing some chrome desposits..so maybe after 5000+ rounds.

As an expirement i might stop cleaning my SIG 516 until 5000 rds and i am confident it will not harm the rifle or significantly affect its reliability.
I could not say that about any DI gun no matter what the brand.

As a life-long DI guy ( 23 yrs in army) i am really warming up to the piston solution especially nice pistons that have solved carrier tilt like the SIG 516 has.

Among the real high end rifles I own I place my SIG 516 slightly above my DDM4V5.
When I got my DDM4 I loved it and wanted to buy more of them..

but then during my search for more DD's (after all most folks are sold out now) , I stumbled on a SIG 516 and gave it a try and now i am in love.
I am sold on the 516 and had been looking for second and maybe even third 516 for myself when the LMT fell in my lap this weekend.

I am on travel so cannot post pics of the SIG.
The lower and upper are in black but the stock, grip, and rail protectors are in FDE.

My SIG 516 is one of only 2 guns (the other is the LMT) I would not sell.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 03-19-2013 at 03:58 AM.
_winer_ Likes This 
Old 03-19-2013, 02:35 AM   #20

Liked 659 Times on 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez
I am a bit late to this thread, but since unlike most other posters, I own both a DDM4 and a SIG516, I think my opinion is relevant:

The Daniel Defense in a great rifle, and the lack of good finish or workmanship of the SIG 556 Classic rifles have given SIG a black eye as of late...I had a SIG 556 before and thought it quite crude in many ways..... so I am not a SIG fanboy.
But the SIG 516 is NOT the same as teh SIG 556.. it is MUCH better!!!!......

the SIG 516 Gives up NOTHING to the Daniel defense in workmanship, looks, accuracy and feel.

The fit between upper and lower on my SIG 516 is even tigther than on my DDM4V5 (and tighter than on the LMT CQB MRP I just picked up yesterday!)

As for accuracy I have not seen any difference between the 2 (though in fairness to both I have done only short range shooting with either)

Both have CHF CL barrels in 1 in 7.

Both shoot very smooth, the urban legend that a piston rifle has to shoot less smooth than a DI is just tha,t an urban legend.
My SIG shoots buttery smooth, doesnt feel front heavy either.

The piston design in the SIG 516 is different and distinct from that of the SIG 556 ( the latter, but not the former, is an americanized version of the Swiss army rifle).

There is a growing school of thought that maintains the high end pistons like the 516 doent really need to be cleaned after every outing or maybe evenb hardly at all...more like when the barrell starts seeing some chrome desposits..so maybe after 5000+ rounds.

As an expirement i might stop cleaning my SIG 516 until 5000 rds and i am confident it will not harm the rifle or significantly affect its reliability.
I could not say that about any DI gun no matter what the brand.

As a life-long DI guy ( 23 yrs in army) i am really warming up to the piston solution especially nice pistons that have solved carrier tilt like the SIG 516 has.

Among the real high end rifles I own I place my SIG 516 slightly above my DDM4V5.
When I got my DDM4 I loved it and wanted to buy more of them..

but then during my search for more DD's, I stumbled on a SIG 516 and gave it a try and now i am in love.
I am sold on the 516 and had been looking for second and maybe even third 516 for myself when the LMT fell in my lap this weekend.

I am on travel so cannot post pics of the SIG.
The lower and upper are in black but the stock, grip, and rail protectors are in FDE.

My SIG 516 is one of only 2 guns (the other is the LMT) I would not sell.
That is some seriously righteous information, thank you!!!

Do you know anything about the LWRC M6A* series of piston rifles? I just past 19 years 09MAR in the Army and I've been tossing around between the H&K, the SIG and the LWRC. I've heard a bunch of good stuff about all three so it might as well be hearing nothing. I just can't seem to pull the trigger on my first piston carbine. If I don't have to clean them as often... (but you know I will)