Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Which Daniel Defense should i buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I am deciding between the V3 and V5. I can get the V3 the first week in April or wait til at least July or august for the V5. I have other rifles with an FSP and the cowitnessing doesn't bother me. But am I going to wish I had the V5? I don't need 12 inches of rail,9 is plenty. The only thing that has me wondering is the FSP. It's going to be for CQB so the FSP is actually more durable but the versatility of the V5 is nice. It's a total toss up. Thoughts? Right now the only thing that is even tipping the scale is the wait time which is sort of a big deal.

Last edited by thatguy510; 03-04-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2013, 02:22 AM   #2

Liked 927 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 906

I'm a fan of the A2 FSB so got the DD V3 upper. Never been sorry about it. Really there's no bad choice here except the wait time as you pointed out.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #3

Liked 200 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Whichever you end up with, remember this: those who are knowledgeable enough to appreciate a DD are usually adept at building their own, but prefer a fine rifle like a fine wine. I don't own one, but have seen and held them. The cyclic action is smooth, and you can barely hear the buffer spring if at all. The gas tube is perfectly centered so that it rides the bolt carrier gas key like it isn't there. It is the quality of rifle that could be built without the forward assist, but has one anyway. You almost hate to add anything because attachments would be inferior to the rifle. Alas, I digress. I am just jealous that you can afford one. I wish you well, and I wish I had your dilemma.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by fsted2a; 03-05-2013 at 08:17 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the input. I placed my order for the V3 and can't wait to get it.

Last edited by thatguy510; 03-06-2013 at 01:07 AM.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:40 AM   #5

Message has been deleted

Last edited by thatguy510; 03-06-2013 at 01:06 AM.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #6

Liked 385 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

I used to prefer a FSP but now that I use EOtech I prefer no FSP.
my DDM4 is a V5.

I dont like the co witness I think its distracting to the eye.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 03-06-2013, 01:10 AM   #7

I actually don't notice it. If you focus on the target and not the dot, I find the FSP doesn't affect me at all. There are trade offs for everything. That's why they make different configurations

Old 03-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #8

Liked 927 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 906

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy510 View Post
I actually don't notice it. If you focus on the target and not the dot, I find the FSP doesn't affect me at all. There are trade offs for everything. That's why they make different configurations
I agree. With bottom 1/3 cowitness I normally flip down the rear sight and the dot floats over the front post anyway. I cowitness mainly as a tool to occasionally check that my RDS is still zeroed. Anyway, the FSB just isn't an impairment for me.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Whichever you end up with, remember this: those who are knowledgeable enough to appreciate a DD are usually adept at building their own, but prefer a fine rifle like a fine wine. I don't own one, but have seen and held them. The cyclic action is smooth, and you can barely hear the buffer spring if at all. The gas tube is perfectly centered so that it rides the bolt carrier gas key like it isn't there. It is the quality of rifle that could be built without the forward assist, but has one anyway. You almost hate to add anything because attachments would be inferior to the rifle. Alas, I digress. I am just jealous that you can afford one. I wish you well, and I wish I had your dilemma.
Awesome description- how could anyone NOT want a DD after reading that?!?!?!?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
fsted2a Likes This 
Old 03-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

I have a dd v5 on top of a RRA lower upgraded trigger and springs... Thing is perfect.. Shoots soooooo accurate and smooth.. I have the LW version and it is awesome!! Best investment ever.. I was lucky to nail one for 750 bucks from Aimsurplus for the upper.. Gotta say worth every dam penny even after getting work done to it to make it NYS AWB compliant..