Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Which Daniel Defense should i buy? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/daniel-defense-should-i-buy-85752/)

thatguy510 03-04-2013 04:59 PM

I am deciding between the V3 and V5. I can get the V3 the first week in April or wait til at least July or august for the V5. I have other rifles with an FSP and the cowitnessing doesn't bother me. But am I going to wish I had the V5? I don't need 12 inches of rail,9 is plenty. The only thing that has me wondering is the FSP. It's going to be for CQB so the FSP is actually more durable but the versatility of the V5 is nice. It's a total toss up. Thoughts? Right now the only thing that is even tipping the scale is the wait time which is sort of a big deal.

Quentin 03-05-2013 02:22 AM

I'm a fan of the A2 FSB so got the DD V3 upper. Never been sorry about it. Really there's no bad choice here except the wait time as you pointed out.

fsted2a 03-05-2013 08:15 PM

Whichever you end up with, remember this: those who are knowledgeable enough to appreciate a DD are usually adept at building their own, but prefer a fine rifle like a fine wine. I don't own one, but have seen and held them. The cyclic action is smooth, and you can barely hear the buffer spring if at all. The gas tube is perfectly centered so that it rides the bolt carrier gas key like it isn't there. It is the quality of rifle that could be built without the forward assist, but has one anyway. You almost hate to add anything because attachments would be inferior to the rifle. Alas, I digress. I am just jealous that you can afford one. I wish you well, and I wish I had your dilemma. :D

thatguy510 03-06-2013 12:37 AM

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the input. I placed my order for the V3 and can't wait to get it.

thatguy510 03-06-2013 12:40 AM

Message has been deleted

bluez 03-06-2013 01:04 AM

I used to prefer a FSP but now that I use EOtech I prefer no FSP.
my DDM4 is a V5.

I dont like the co witness I think its distracting to the eye.

thatguy510 03-06-2013 01:10 AM

I actually don't notice it. If you focus on the target and not the dot, I find the FSP doesn't affect me at all. There are trade offs for everything. That's why they make different configurations

Quentin 03-06-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguy510 (Post 1165312)
I actually don't notice it. If you focus on the target and not the dot, I find the FSP doesn't affect me at all. There are trade offs for everything. That's why they make different configurations

I agree. With bottom 1/3 cowitness I normally flip down the rear sight and the dot floats over the front post anyway. I cowitness mainly as a tool to occasionally check that my RDS is still zeroed. Anyway, the FSB just isn't an impairment for me.

ZeusEcho 03-06-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsted2a (Post 1164818)
Whichever you end up with, remember this: those who are knowledgeable enough to appreciate a DD are usually adept at building their own, but prefer a fine rifle like a fine wine. I don't own one, but have seen and held them. The cyclic action is smooth, and you can barely hear the buffer spring if at all. The gas tube is perfectly centered so that it rides the bolt carrier gas key like it isn't there. It is the quality of rifle that could be built without the forward assist, but has one anyway. You almost hate to add anything because attachments would be inferior to the rifle. Alas, I digress. I am just jealous that you can afford one. I wish you well, and I wish I had your dilemma. :D

Awesome description- how could anyone NOT want a DD after reading that?!?!?!?:D

hockeyjr1 03-06-2013 11:40 PM

I have a dd v5 on top of a RRA lower upgraded trigger and springs... Thing is perfect.. Shoots soooooo accurate and smooth.. I have the LW version and it is awesome!! Best investment ever.. I was lucky to nail one for 750 bucks from Aimsurplus for the upper.. Gotta say worth every dam penny even after getting work done to it to make it NYS AWB compliant..