Daniel Defence
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Daniel Defence

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Daniel Defence

I ran across a great deal on "made to order" DD uppers late last year and jumped on it. A month of impatience turned into a light weight, silky smooth shooting, very accurate AR15.

W/ a 14.5" lightweight barrel, pinned Battle Comp 1.5, pinned low profile gas block, M16 BCG, and M4 RIS II 12" rail mated to a DD stripped lower containing a Timmney 4# trigger I couldn't ask for much more. I threw in a Spikes buffer to help keep things running smooth. A CTR takes up the rear helping to keep weight to a minimum. The Aimpoint H1 doesn't hurt either when weight is of concern.

I had originally planned to remove the RIS II for the MOE mid length hand guards.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #2

Liked 1037 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1034

Beautiful, mjkeat! A very well thought out rifle that I know you're proud of.

Though we diverged in many places our overall concept for our recent builds was quite similar. And your pictures reminded me that I forgot to add to my specs the Vltor/BCM Model 4 charging handle that came in last week.

I think it's great that you got the DD stripped lower. I considered it but waited too long and now they're not available. Smart move on your part. I really considered FDE for mine but stayed plain jane.

Thanks again for the pictures and specs!

Guess those MOE grips have gotta seed another build!

Old 03-07-2011, 01:57 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Very nice build!

I like your taste in components, use many of the same myself.
I really like the function of that comp, charging handle and the safety selector. Looking to swap out my MOE buttstock for a CTR, and upgrade to the Aimpoint micro when funds allow.

Again, very nice indeed!!

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 03-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Beautiful, mjkeat! A very well thought out rifle that I know you're proud of.

Though we diverged in many places our overall concept for our recent builds was quite similar. And your pictures reminded me that I forgot to add to my specs the Vltor/BCM Model 4 charging handle that came in last week.

I think it's great that you got the DD stripped lower. I considered it but waited too long and now they're not available. Smart move on your part. I really considered FDE for mine but stayed plain jane.

Thanks again for the pictures and specs!

Guess those MOE grips have gotta seed another build!
The mod 4 is by far the best. Its not to big but not to small.

I had no idea DD was going to halt the sale of stripped lowers. Hopefully its only for a limited time until they get caught up. From what I understand that SG sale really put a strain on their production line.

FDE is a good color but a black AR is awesome looking. My thing w/ FDE probably comes from a past inability to use FDE on an M4 and M249. Our 6 man scout squad was able to paint their rifles but we were not.

I'm thinking about turning the LWRC carbine into a dissy w/ the rifle length MOE. I think it would be cool and not duplicated often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Very nice build!

I like your taste in components, use many of the same myself.
I really like the function of that comp, charging handle and the safety selector. Looking to swap out my MOE buttstock for a CTR, and upgrade to the Aimpoint micro when funds allow.

Again, very nice indeed!!
The comp works great and really speeds things up. The Battle Arms selector is machining heaven from a very progressive company. Id really like to try their 45deg selector. Theres just so many lowers out there that I want its hard to decide.

For a non magnified optic the micros are where its at. The thin edges really lend to great field of vision when shooting both eyes open. For longer distances the EOTechs smaller dot seems to work better for me though.

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-07-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:39 AM   #5

I'm wishing I went with the 14.5 now. But I'm willing to bet mine will be just fine for a first one...when it shows up.

Very nice. How do you like the RIS? While I doubt I'll find a free floated m203 a necessity, I couldn't pass up the SG deal on it...:-)

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died, rather we should thank God that such men lived." Gen. George S. Patton

Old 03-08-2011, 04:21 AM   #6

Likes Given: 2

Good lookin!
You do nice work

Old 03-08-2011, 06:55 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Very nice mjkeat. That is pretty much exactly what I want to build for my next upper. And while I do want to build it myself from pieces, I probably wouldn't pass up a good deal on a complete upper.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Very nice mjkeat. That is pretty much exactly what I want to build for my next upper. And while I do want to build it myself from pieces, I probably wouldn't pass up a good deal on a complete upper.

Smartgunner is having their DD special again. Just tell him to ship it unassembled in the special instructions section.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died, rather we should thank God that such men lived." Gen. George S. Patton

Old 03-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #9

Liked 1037 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1034

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
Smartgunner is having their DD special again. Just tell him to ship it unassembled in the special instructions section.
That's good news! And I doubt it would take as long this time for delivery unless a part is on backorder. The last sale swamped both SG and DD but this time I bet they're ready.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The RIS is very solid. I really like how the bottom rail is lower profile as compared to the sides and top. For a 12" quad rail its light as well.

The lead time for the SG deal has been posted 6-8 weeks this time around. He was saying 4 weeks before. I also believe they will be better prepared this go around.

I did hear of guys haveing their orders shipped as unassembled kits.