Custom built arms inc - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Custom built arms inc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 233 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Default ar-15 upper info

[quote=AgentTikki;1375091]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
Sabre defence 16" 4150 cmv 5.56 nato chrome lined 1-7 twist M4 barrel with feedramps, Sabre Defence 5075-T6 forged flat top T-marked upper with dust cover, forward Assit, and feedramps micor 1-7 twist flash supressor carbine gas system, sabre Defence pinned forged front sight M4 handgards with heatsheilds. I am not sure about some of the other uppers they offer but the sabre defence brand seems to be ok. Everything you stated below is spot on (worked with brits overseas for awhile). I plan on shooting 19" x 30" target 3-500 yards. I did it opened sighted in the Corpes (Obama lingo) but plan on acog ta31, I have a nephew who is a capt. USMC, said he could get me a deal at the PX in San Diego. P.S. I plan on a 308 build also with same target size at 6-800 yd rage, less expensive scope (wife). Keep the info coming I do not mind at all of changing directions. sub moa is not critical, just being realistic with my capablities and funding.

I ask again...Who made their barrel? A good chromelined steel barrel is better than a cheap stainless fluted barrel. Stainless steel will not last as long as a t 4150 or 4140 chromelined barrel. If you are looking for teeny tiny groups, then why make a stainless barrel in 5.56 nato? It doesn't make sense. It should be .223 wylde, .223 remington, or 5.56 match (which is super rare) for accuracy/repeatability. If you are looking for sub moa accuracy, get a different barrel. If you are looking for combat/practical type shooting don't get a stainless. If you want a pretty shiny barrel that shoots ok and doesn't last that long, you found the right one for you. Barrel making is more art then the stats. Get a good one from a reputable source, its worth the money.

9310 steel is ok for the bolt. Carpenter 158 is more durable, stronger, expensive(but not much more expensive) and harder to find.

I 'm just trying to help you out, not knocking on your choice. If you feel the need to buy from them it, as always, is your prerogative. You can find cheaper elsewhere, you can find more expensive elsewhere, you can find higher quality from a known reputable source elsewhere. No one here has heard of those guys, you may get awesome kit, you may get ripped off, you may get awesome customer service, you may never get your money back if things go wrong.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Sabre Defense makes a good barrel, I've shot my friend's, but they have been out of business for..... 2-3 years ago? How are the selling their barrels?

Old 09-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default sabre defence

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Sabre Defense makes a good barrel, I've shot my friend's, but they have been out of business for..... 2-3 years ago? How are the selling their barrels?
They are not. Evidently the ceo was arrested for illegal arm sells. As far a I can gather the Company, or someone sold off all of their parts. I have checked a few other sites out and found a few of the Sabre uppers still availelable (no lowers) what are your thoughts?

Old 09-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #34

I remember there were quite a few of those barrels and uppers being sold back in 2011 on ar15.com, but they are pretty rare now that its been a while. I can't remember seeing any personally in the past year. I doubt any wholesaler or retailer has any of their barrels for sale, new or used.

I'm calling a RED FLAG on the play.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default more info

Quote:
There were quite a few of those barrels and uppers being sold back in 2011 on ar15.com, but they are pretty rare now that its been a while. I doubt any wholesaler or retailer has any of their barrels for sale, new or used.

In 2011 colt Manroy usa were bidding for sabre for thier Govt contracts sabre had, they were not at that time intereseted in the civilan market. Since I have nothing better to do (wife can't hear me) I am going to do more reserch on this and see what I can come up with, any other interested parties can do the same,(more the merrier). In soccer I believe they have yellow cards (warning) and red cards,(you are out of the game), for now I have pulled out the yellow card and we shall see how this saga ends up. Once again, thanks

Old 09-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Sabre Defence, Custom Builtstill unsolved, more info

Quote:
I remember there were quite a few of those barrels and uppers being sold back in 2011 on ar15.com, but they are pretty rare now that its been a while. I can't remember seeing any personally in the past year. I doubt any wholesaler or retailer has any of their barrels for sale, new or used.

buds gun shop out of stock, cal guns used 2200.00 Guns america used 1799.00 brownells had a lot of what they called surplus parts and some of them were "new" listings. RedXArms had 20 uppers for sale only with the 1-9 twist, specs looked to be the same.(priced about the same as custom built) I e-mailed the editor of Gun World who wrote an article on Sabre 2/24/11 and asked if he had any information. In his article he wrote that the sabre was based on the adams system with some re-design. On sabres gas block, piston rod and bcg, they were coated with "Ion Bonds (a diamond like coating which was applied on top of the melonite finish( I really do not know what the hell that means). The one common thread I picked up on was with the original Sabre barrel had attached to it the Micro flash suppressor which is the same as what custom built was advertising. What I am getting out of this is the Sabre ar system was very good and if they are still availailable (at the prices quoted) would be a very good deal. My next step is to try and contact Manroy USA who bought out sabre. contact red-x arms, and check back with the editor of Gun world. Does anyone have any other suggestions? (other than to just forget it)

Old 09-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #37

tar:self /facepalm

Old 09-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

learned something new, the horse is dead

Old 09-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

So did you complete your project?

Old 11-16-2013, 05:11 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

horse may still be kicking. I went forward after more research and purchased the sabre defense ar-15 from cb arms and it is a very nice rifle. I have had 1 gunsmith and 2 ar collectors verify the rifle. although I must admit with the prices coming down I probably could have purchased a less expensive upper.