Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > custom build or stock AR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Default custom build or stock AR?

being my first ar, im deciding to go with the BCM MID 16, although the 2" inch longer handguard looks strange, i decided to to go with it due to the mid length gas system advantages...referring back to the question,would it be wise to do a ground up build using the bcm mid 16 upper or going with a stock bcm mid 16 complete?
not trying to create a precision ar just milspec would be nice...i assume the bcm mid 16 complete is ideal for what i want...any thoughts....
i'd like to thank agent tikki for the very thorough article for "1st time ar15 buyer" thank you and god bless

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #2

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As you know, I am far from an expert, but what I did was I ordered the complete upper from BCM, but I did build my own lower. I just, as it is my first AR, want to know what a quality AR should be, and if I were to put it together completely myself, I wouldn't really have a solid yardstick to measure it with. This way, I know I have a reliable upper assembly from a reputable company, and the lowers aren't nearly as finicky. Tons of videos and such to learn how to do them, and they aren't really that bad to do. Actually, they are fun. Just be prepared to watch at least one spring/detent to go sailing.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Unless you really want to build it you should price check the two options. I would love to build an AR but its not really a wise investment in my state as it is cheaper to just buy the gun. What I will likely do is get something used that is relatively close to what I want and then gut it and rebuild.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:54 PM   #4

well im in California and seeing uppers and lowers sold separate and complete rifles, i dont see a good difference in both. i would like to build and build one one day, maybe for my second ar in the future

Old 04-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Yeah I'm in ma. We are basically brothers in misery

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #6

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I would build your lower, and buy an upper complete. You will be able to avoid that 11% tax by ordering a lower and upper seperately.

Whereabouts in Cali are you?

an on a side note:
And middys look WAY sexier than carbines. Carbines have too much unprotected barrel exposed, they look all stumpy with their short forearms and long noses >.<

Old 04-02-2012, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
I would build your lower, and buy an upper complete. You will be able to avoid that 11% tax by ordering a lower and upper seperately.

Whereabouts in Cali are you?

an on a side note:
And middys look WAY sexier than carbines. Carbines have too much unprotected barrel exposed, they look all stumpy with their short forearms and long noses >.<
agree...will be going for getting both receivers separate
im located near Los Angeles , Ca

Old 04-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #8

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
an on a side note:
They look like Danny Devito.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #9

Lots of good shops in LA.

I recommend Riflegear, Fountain Valley for all your black rifle needs and questions. Good people and they can answer a lot of questions you have without alot of BS and sales pressure. Their Aggressor lowers are nice, with a flared magwell and tensioner bolt to remove any play you might have between your upper and lower. (but the rollmarks is kinda hokey imo) Their custom uppers are rebranded Daniel Defense assemblies, with the exception of some of the rail/hand guard choices. I've personally spend a more than a few hours there fondling LWRCs and Noveskes, and FS200s and SCARS, and MSARs and bombarding them will tons of questions.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
They look like Danny Devito.
LMFAO. The Penguin! Yes!