Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   custom build or stock AR? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/custom-build-stock-ar-61658/)

Armed-Citizen 04-02-2012 03:08 PM

custom build or stock AR?

being my first ar, im deciding to go with the BCM MID 16, although the 2" inch longer handguard looks strange, i decided to to go with it due to the mid length gas system advantages...referring back to the question,would it be wise to do a ground up build using the bcm mid 16 upper or going with a stock bcm mid 16 complete?
not trying to create a precision ar just milspec would be nice...i assume the bcm mid 16 complete is ideal for what i want...any thoughts....
i'd like to thank agent tikki for the very thorough article for "1st time ar15 buyer" thank you and god bless

BenLuby 04-02-2012 03:21 PM

As you know, I am far from an expert, but what I did was I ordered the complete upper from BCM, but I did build my own lower. I just, as it is my first AR, want to know what a quality AR should be, and if I were to put it together completely myself, I wouldn't really have a solid yardstick to measure it with. This way, I know I have a reliable upper assembly from a reputable company, and the lowers aren't nearly as finicky. Tons of videos and such to learn how to do them, and they aren't really that bad to do. Actually, they are fun. Just be prepared to watch at least one spring/detent to go sailing.

mountainman13 04-02-2012 03:24 PM

Unless you really want to build it you should price check the two options. I would love to build an AR but its not really a wise investment in my state as it is cheaper to just buy the gun. What I will likely do is get something used that is relatively close to what I want and then gut it and rebuild.

Armed-Citizen 04-02-2012 03:54 PM

well im in California and seeing uppers and lowers sold separate and complete rifles, i dont see a good difference in both. i would like to build and build one one day, maybe for my second ar in the future

mountainman13 04-02-2012 04:10 PM

Yeah I'm in ma. We are basically brothers in misery

AgentTikki 04-02-2012 04:45 PM

I would build your lower, and buy an upper complete. You will be able to avoid that 11% tax by ordering a lower and upper seperately.

Whereabouts in Cali are you?

an on a side note:
And middys look WAY sexier than carbines. Carbines have too much unprotected barrel exposed, they look all stumpy with their short forearms and long noses >.<

Armed-Citizen 04-02-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki
I would build your lower, and buy an upper complete. You will be able to avoid that 11% tax by ordering a lower and upper seperately.

Whereabouts in Cali are you?

an on a side note:
And middys look WAY sexier than carbines. Carbines have too much unprotected barrel exposed, they look all stumpy with their short forearms and long noses >.<

agree...will be going for getting both receivers separate
im located near Los Angeles , Ca

BenLuby 04-02-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 759380)
an on a side note:

They look like Danny Devito.

AgentTikki 04-02-2012 05:07 PM

Lots of good shops in LA.

I recommend Riflegear, Fountain Valley for all your black rifle needs and questions. Good people and they can answer a lot of questions you have without alot of BS and sales pressure. Their Aggressor lowers are nice, with a flared magwell and tensioner bolt to remove any play you might have between your upper and lower. (but the rollmarks is kinda hokey imo) Their custom uppers are rebranded Daniel Defense assemblies, with the exception of some of the rail/hand guard choices. I've personally spend a more than a few hours there fondling LWRCs and Noveskes, and FS200s and SCARS, and MSARs and bombarding them will tons of questions.

AgentTikki 04-02-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenLuby (Post 759385)
They look like Danny Devito.

LMFAO. The Penguin! Yes!