Curious
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Curious

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5694 Times on 3218 Posts
Likes Given: 5099

Default Curious

I have a couple of bushel baskets full of MilSurp 20 and 30 round AR magazines, made by Colt and Adventure line.

All of them are top quality ++

But the supply seems to have dried up.

Today, I often have people ask me which magazines to buy for their new AR, and I'm at a loss to answer.

I haven't bought AR magazines for 25 years. What are the good ones being made today. (Besides the very expensive Colt mags, of course.)

TIA

Winston Churchill

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I know a lot of the purists curl their noses at them, but I use nothing but Thermold polymer magazines. I think I might have two old mil aluminum mags laying around somewhere, but I don't use them. I remember back when I used to buy mil surplus mags, that I'd have to throw one or two away in each batch because of feed problems. I've never had a feed problem with a Thermold. Ever. And they are tough as nails. You can drop them, beat on them, run over them, and they keep on working. Now to the best part. Cheap with a capital CHEAP. CDNN sells the 20 rd mags for $3.99 and put them on sale now and then for as low as $2.99. 30 rd mags are $6.99, and I've seen them as low as $5.99 on sale.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Magpul, Lancer, and GI mags w/ Magpul anti-tilt followers.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-06-2012, 05:07 AM   #4

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Yeah, about 20 Magpul and 30 GI mags with Magpul Gen 2 and Gen 3 followers. All are reliable except for a few GIs, Sanchez and others I've marked. Of the GIs, I've had the best luck with Colt, Okay - and NHMTG (which you can get for about $11 apiece).

I just bought a 3-pack of Troy BattleMags which get good reviews.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5694 Times on 3218 Posts
Likes Given: 5099

Thanks, guys.

I never ever had problem with the Colt or GI "Adventure Line" But I can't find Adventure line GI mags anymore, so I thought I'd ask.

Anyone ever use the Israeli mags?

Winston Churchill

Old 02-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

The military contract mags are made on government owned tooling. They loan it to a sub-contractor to make mags. Normally HUB (minority owned) subs. The contract is so lucrative that after a couple of years the sub has mad so much money they no longer qualify for the contract. The government pulls the tooling and moves on to another sub. Kind of stupid but that government and that is why you see so many different GI mags.

Nothing wrong with GI mags. There is a problem with GI mag springs. They are intended as one time use items. The springs will not last forever. Replace the springs with enhanced springs from sawlesales.com install an anti-tilt follower (even the 1st generation green followers are fine) and you will have a magazine that will last a lifetime.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #7

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Center Industries GI mags have never failed me.

I just grabbed 76 new Brownells with tan follower for $250. Then sold 21 for $200.

55 mags for $50... FREAKIN AWESOME!

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?