Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Curious (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/curious-57075/)

locutus 02-05-2012 08:58 PM

Curious

I have a couple of bushel baskets full of MilSurp 20 and 30 round AR magazines, made by Colt and Adventure line.

All of them are top quality ++

But the supply seems to have dried up. :mad:

Today, I often have people ask me which magazines to buy for their new AR, and I'm at a loss to answer.

I haven't bought AR magazines for 25 years. What are the good ones being made today. (Besides the very expensive Colt mags, of course.)

TIA

Paladin201 02-05-2012 10:06 PM

I know a lot of the purists curl their noses at them, but I use nothing but Thermold polymer magazines. I think I might have two old mil aluminum mags laying around somewhere, but I don't use them. I remember back when I used to buy mil surplus mags, that I'd have to throw one or two away in each batch because of feed problems. I've never had a feed problem with a Thermold. Ever. And they are tough as nails. You can drop them, beat on them, run over them, and they keep on working. Now to the best part. Cheap with a capital CHEAP. CDNN sells the 20 rd mags for $3.99 and put them on sale now and then for as low as $2.99. 30 rd mags are $6.99, and I've seen them as low as $5.99 on sale.

mjkeat 02-05-2012 10:17 PM

Magpul, Lancer, and GI mags w/ Magpul anti-tilt followers.

Quentin 02-06-2012 05:07 AM

Yeah, about 20 Magpul and 30 GI mags with Magpul Gen 2 and Gen 3 followers. All are reliable except for a few GIs, Sanchez and others I've marked. Of the GIs, I've had the best luck with Colt, Okay - and NHMTG (which you can get for about $11 apiece).

I just bought a 3-pack of Troy BattleMags which get good reviews.

locutus 02-06-2012 12:01 PM

Thanks, guys.

I never ever had problem with the Colt or GI "Adventure Line" But I can't find Adventure line GI mags anymore, so I thought I'd ask.

Anyone ever use the Israeli mags?:confused::confused:

robocop10mm 02-06-2012 02:20 PM

The military contract mags are made on government owned tooling. They loan it to a sub-contractor to make mags. Normally HUB (minority owned) subs. The contract is so lucrative that after a couple of years the sub has mad so much money they no longer qualify for the contract. The government pulls the tooling and moves on to another sub. Kind of stupid but that government and that is why you see so many different GI mags.

Nothing wrong with GI mags. There is a problem with GI mag springs. They are intended as one time use items. The springs will not last forever. Replace the springs with enhanced springs from sawlesales.com install an anti-tilt follower (even the 1st generation green followers are fine) and you will have a magazine that will last a lifetime.

willfully armed 02-07-2012 12:30 AM

Center Industries GI mags have never failed me.

I just grabbed 76 new Brownells with tan follower for $250. Then sold 21 for $200.

55 mags for $50... FREAKIN AWESOME!