cryogenic treatment to bolts and barrels
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > cryogenic treatment to bolts and barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 02:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default cryogenic treatment to bolts and barrels

I bought a couple of shady bcgs and there are zero specs out there on the "R Guns " but they were cheap and available and I needed 2 to finish builds . I found a place local that does cryogenic treatment on everything from engine parts, ball bats to gun parts .Im just thinking cryo treatment may help the longevity of the unknown bolt material .
Anyone else have a good response or experience with cryo treatments ?

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-16-2013, 03:04 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1043 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

No experience but would the cost be worth it?

Old 05-16-2013, 03:17 AM   #3

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Not sure . Im waiting on a price to come back to me . If its $20 for the bolt I would say yes if its going to cost $100 then no

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 05-16-2013, 04:28 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

you would get more usefulness out of having it shot peened than cryo'd. cryoing is typically done to barrels to relieve the stresses put on the metal by the rifling proccess. its one of the reasons RRA ar15 are so damn accurate. they use wilson cryoed barrels in most of their builds. wilson makes a barrel thats hard to beat or even match. i would put em right up there with whiteoak or krieger in some respects.

there just isnt enough metal in a AR15 bolt nor has it been machined in such a way to produce those types of stress that would effect its life span. surface hardening via shot peen is a much more effective method of strengthening it. its one of the reasons bcm bolts are sought after so hard.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #5

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 38

From what I understand about R-Guns from another Forum, is that they're using 8620 Steel because it's easier to get, instead of the (now) recommended C-158 Steel. Heard that lots of the (better) Manufacturer's were having hard time getting C158 Steel, and that's why you're seeing "out of the woodwork" cheaper BCG's on the market.

Considering this, how would Cryo help? I know it changes the molecular structure, but every break I've seen on a Bolt is at the Lugs which is the weakest link. Good Steel or Bad, if it's a weak link anyway, where would the savings be?
Del

Old 05-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #6

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

I'm also of the opinion that it's not worth it. We are starting to see quality BCGs for sale more often these days. Maybe those bolts can end up in a low cost, light use build? Or can be sold with full disclosure - there are a lot of folks who still want something, anything to drop in their never to be used AR.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 05-16-2013 at 05:38 PM.