Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Crush Washer Mistake (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/crush-washer-mistake-61193/)

ColdIron44 03-27-2012 03:14 AM

Crush Washer Mistake

Hello all,
I recently swapped a low-profile gas block onto my rifle, and I, like an idiot, reused my crush washer when reinstalling the A2 flash hider. (Why isn't the crush washer thread near the top of the stickies?!). I now need to cut the washer off and replace it, which is not a problem since Battlecomp sends you a free muzzle brake with your purchase of a $150 crush washer!

But back to the question at hand: I'd like to test the gas system before I replace the flash hider, so that I don't go through the trouble of cutting off the crush washer and properly installing a new muzzle brake, only to find that I misaligned the gas ports on the low-profile block I just installed. Is the rifle SAFE to fire with a twice used crush washer? Will I be putting myself or others in harm's way? Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
-Tom

mjkeat 03-27-2012 03:32 AM

So Im sure I understand:

You ordered a BC but reinstalled the A2?

Why do you feel you need to cut the crush washer off?

Yes, it is safe to fire.

Jpyle 03-27-2012 03:39 AM

As long as the FH is aligned with the barrel and is not canted in a way that would allow the bullet to make contact as it exits you should be safe. You may get some gas blowback and residue on the barrel behind the FH if the seal is not complete but nothing dangerous. The washer really has no purpose in tightening the FH, its main purpose is to "crush" down so that the FH can be properly indexed during install without applying torque directly to the barrel.

ColdIron44 03-27-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjkeat
So Im sure I understand:

You ordered a BC but reinstalled the A2?

Why do you feel you need to cut the crush washer off?

Yes, it is safe to fire.

Other way around, I reinstalled the flash hider and the very next day discovered that a long-shot tax amendment I had filed would be returning an unexpected $200. So I bought the BC.

I'm not positive I will have to cut off the crush washer, but Sniper03's sticky made it seem inevitable. Now that I know it will be safe to do so, I'll run through a few hundred rounds to test the new gas block. I'll find out if the crush washer needs to be cut when the Battlecomp gets here.

Thank you both for your replies,
-Tom

mjkeat 03-27-2012 04:06 PM

I was under the impression you had the BC in hand.

I've never had much difficulty removing a used crush washer. I usually use a standard screwdriver and slowly pry it off keeping each side even as I go.

ColdIron44 03-27-2012 08:10 PM

I'll keep that in mind before I grab the Dremmel.
Thanks