Crimson Trace MVF-515, Opinions? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Crimson Trace MVF-515, Opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 09:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Okay so I received the Crimson Trace Vertical grip with the Green Laser and light.

Some valid comments were made about this design before. I Must say, although I am not in Law Enforcement and will have no practical application for this and the Eotech, I find this to be an excellent product. Not gonna critique the laser, everybody already knows that Crimson Trace has a fantastic product.

The placement of the light and laser on the vertical grip is the controversial part. I find the locations to be very practical and not a problem that would not arise with any other component attached separately.

The Shadows cast by the muzzle are going to exist no matter where or what product you use. Only way to avoid this would to have the light close to the end of the barrel and I don't see that as practical.

Other point brought up was the placement of the laser. Same situation without the shadow.

Last point was the added weight with 2 CR123 batteries. Yes it does add something like 8 oz. to the forearm but if I were to go with separately powered light and laser, wouldn't I be adding the weight of those power sources?

All in all I really like the initial impressions of the Crimson Trace Vertical laser/light grip

Range testing and field testing to come soon.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Its not that it wouldn't cast a shadow its about where it casts a shadow. The barrel and rail act like a shade. Placing a light at 6 o'clock will cast a shadow from the barrel up wards. Being as you aim center mass this puts the shadow center mass and up. This doesn't allow the full effect of your light source to illuminate the bad guy in the most vital areas. It detracts from facial recognition and the ability to see if he has a weapon aimed back at you. If the light is on top the shadows will be cast on the bad guys lower half. Personally I'm more concerned w/ whats happening center mas and up. I could care less about the pants and shoes he's wearing.

Im glad you enjoy your grip and hope you never have to deploy it other than for fun.