Crimson Trace MVF-515, Opinions?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Crimson Trace MVF-515, Opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Crimson Trace MVF-515, Opinions?

Looking at the CT MVF-515 in either green or red for my new AR Carbine I just finished building.

Has anybody had any experience with this product.

I have SEVERAL CT lasers on other guns, so I am sure the quality is right there with the one I have. Just looking for over all opinions.

For the flat top (removable handle) I am looking at an EoTech 512.

Combination could make this a FUN little gun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #2

Bumping for comments

Old 03-11-2011, 12:13 AM   #3

ct lasers are top of the line but they are also extremely expensive in most cases they can cost almost as much as the firearm but i would definitely recommend it as long as youre not on a budget

Old 03-11-2011, 12:28 AM   #4

I am looking at it VERY seriously. I love the combo light and laser. The internet has netted a pretty good deal 4 me. Green laser model for 649.00 MSRP and found it for 435 and change, in stock 12.00 shipping. Might just have to pull the pin on this. I have had CT lasers for a long time. First one was the ORIGINAL cut in version for the Gen 1 Glocks. STILL works and dead on.

Have had them on a 92fs, S&w 636, colt defender..... GREAT company, just curious about if anybody has used thos new venture for them

Old 03-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I would very seriously pass. It puts the light in a bad possition and will cast shadows by casting light onto your barrel. Lasers are also a bad idea for HD. The bad guy can follow the laser back to you. This probably adds quite a bit of weight to the front of an AR. It promotes a less than ideal grip. Its expensive. Save your money on gimmicky items.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I would very seriously pass. It puts the light in a bad possition and will cast shadows by casting light onto your barrel. Lasers are also a bad idea for HD. The bad guy can follow the laser back to you. This probably adds quite a bit of weight to the front of an AR. It promotes a less than ideal grip. Its expensive. Save your money on gimmicky items.
I have taken ALL of that into consideration. ALL sights and other add-ons have drawbacks as well as benefits. I Know CT lasers very well. The proper use of it is not to have it on constantly. Like I said before I plan a EoTech holographic for the flat top which as you know has no front signature, like a laser. The CT grip is a relatively light piece. I believe 10 oz. total additional.

The magical part of using a laser is, and It has been my personal experience, is that the mere presence of a laser can defuse a situation. I was a Photographer for a Newspaper in Ohio ( and other places). Went on raids with the local LE all the time. On a couple of occasions as police were entering a location, the shinning of a laser on a threat made him or her INSTANTLY subject to commands and diffuse the situation. WILD to watch a 300 pound drug dealer's ass pucker as a laser locks on his chest or forehead.

Not that I plan to be busting down doors or any of that crazy crap, but I have been taught and seen lasers used properly and Although I have never had to drop the hammer in that type of situation, I do feel they are a valuable aid and have many more benefits than drawbacks.

I am gonna get a vertical grip, and put a light with a pressure sensitive switch on this, If I can combine the grip/light/and laser with a product from a VERY reputable company, Why not?

I am really looking for opinions from actual users of the product. Sorry Mjkeet, but I appreciate your opinions, but I would like to hear from people who are using this.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

10 oz is a hell of a lot of weight to put on the front of an AR. Thats almost a pound in the worst possible location. It will slow you down and cause fatigue much quicker than you realize. The placement of the light under the barrel detracts from its effectiveness. Ive experimented w/ it around the house, range and yard not to mention my days in the infantry.

Ive found mounting a light on either the 3oclock or 9oclock to be the best route. If mounting it on the non ejection port side you can toggle it on and off w/o a switch. Just one less thing to fail.

Nothing wrong w/ CT, they make great products.

You may have a hard time finding actual users, considering the things Ive stated.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
10 oz is a hell of a lot of weight to put on the front of an AR. Thats almost a pound in the worst possible location. It will slow you down and cause fatigue much quicker than you realize. The placement of the light under the barrel detracts from its effectiveness. Ive experimented w/ it around the house, range and yard not to mention my days in the infantry.

Ive found mounting a light on either the 3oclock or 9oclock to be the best route. If mounting it on the non ejection port side you can toggle it on and off w/o a switch. Just one less thing to fail.

Nothing wrong w/ CT, they make great products.

You may have a hard time finding actual users, considering the things Ive stated.
All noted. I have seen several YouTube videos from people who SEEM to be using them and like them. If you see it for sale here in the classified section then I will humbly admit that you were insightful and helpful. But I have to at least accept the views I have see from people who have it as a truthful endorsement. Or hell maybe it was just a sales pitch and I might bite on it.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Totally understandable. Live and learn right?

Do me a favor though. Try a light mounted at the 3,9, or 12 o'clock position. Also try using the CT grip as far out on the rail as possible.

Edit: Let me know if you see a difference in the performance of the light when its not under the barrel and toward the mag-well end of the bottom rail.

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-11-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #10

I will try that. Thanks