Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Creating a blank firing adapter for the AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Creating a blank firing adapter for the AR-15

Anyone have any experience creating a blank firing adapter for the AR-15? I'm the weapons guy on a movie set and I'm thinking of a modifying a flash suppressor to allow the AR to fire and cycle blanks. I'm pretty sure it will not be difficult.
I tried looking up some but the training blank adapters they sell look awful.

Any tips?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

Not worth the trouble. Just buy the adapter and maybe make a modification to it. You might be able to pick up a fake suppressor for an airgun and get it to fit over the adapter for looks.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
Anyone have any experience creating a blank firing adapter for the AR-15? I'm the weapons guy on a movie set and I'm thinking of a modifying a flash suppressor to allow the AR to fire and cycle blanks. I'm pretty sure it will not be difficult.
I tried looking up some but the training blank adapters they sell look awful.

Any tips?
take the flash suppressor off. get a solid steel disc 1/8-1/4 inch thick more the better and .44 inch in diameter. put that under the flash hider as a cap to cover the muzzle then screw on the muzzle device. the bore has to be blocked totally for a AR15 to cycle blanks. its easily removable for converting back to live ammo. just DO NOT FIRE LIVE AMMO WITH IT IN PLACE!!!!

this is for .223/5.56 ONLY!!!!! other rounds require some opening to function such as .308 7.62x39 7.62x51 and so on. if you totally plug a larger caliber it will go kaboom. 5.56 is the only one you can plug 100% and function correctly without a kaboom. DO NOT use this method with a PISTON DRIVEN ar15. this is for direct impinged gastube rifles ONLY!!!

blanks can kill up to 10yards away. its kinda how bruce lee's kid died accident with blanks and live ammo

be sure to check frequently while operating and keep the firearm WELL lubed with 30 weight motor oil as blanks are extremely dirty and will clog any gun.

check the disc frequently before each use look for bulges or cracks if present replace. it should be checked every 150-200 shots.

remember dont shoot it directly at a person because if any blank device fails it becomes a bullet. even the big red training adapters fail

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-03-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
take the flash suppressor off. get a solid steel disc 1/8-1/4 inch thick more the better and .44 inch in diameter. put that under the flash hider as a cap to cover the muzzle then screw on the muzzle device. the bore has to be blocked totally for a AR15 to cycle blanks. its easily removable for converting back to live ammo. just DO NOT FIRE LIVE AMMO WITH IT IN PLACE!!!!

this is for .223/5.56 ONLY!!!!! other rounds require some opening to function such as .308 7.62x39 7.62x51 and so on. if you totally plug a larger caliber it will go kaboom. 5.56 is the only one you can plug 100% and function correctly without a kaboom. DO NOT use this method with a PISTON DRIVEN ar15. this is for direct impinged gastube rifles ONLY!!!

blanks can kill up to 10yards away. its kinda how bruce lee's kid died accident with blanks and live ammo

be sure to check frequently while operating and keep the firearm WELL lubed with 30 weight motor oil as blanks are extremely dirty and will clog any gun.

check the disc frequently before each use look for bulges or cracks if present replace. it should be checked every 150-200 shots.

remember dont shoot it directly at a person because if any blank device fails it becomes a bullet. even the big red training adapters fail
Thank you, Jon

Old 07-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #5

Liked 200 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Pardon my ignorance, but aren't there movie faux flash hiders that serve as blank adapters? As long as there have been movies featuring M16's and other military rifles, I would think the issue would have been worked out a long time ago.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5118 Times on 2664 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but aren't there movie faux flash hiders that serve as blank adapters? As long as there have been movies featuring M16's and other military rifles, I would think the issue would have been worked out a long time ago.
Yes but there isnt a gun locker in helliwood that all the movie makers get guns from.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #7

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

disregard. Saw you're not wanting to see the adapter.