Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Creating a blank firing adapter for the AR-15 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/creating-blank-firing-adapter-ar-15-a-67568/)

indyfan 07-03-2012 09:11 PM

Creating a blank firing adapter for the AR-15

Anyone have any experience creating a blank firing adapter for the AR-15? I'm the weapons guy on a movie set and I'm thinking of a modifying a flash suppressor to allow the AR to fire and cycle blanks. I'm pretty sure it will not be difficult.
I tried looking up some but the training blank adapters they sell look awful.

Any tips?

mountainman13 07-03-2012 09:21 PM

Not worth the trouble. Just buy the adapter and maybe make a modification to it. You might be able to pick up a fake suppressor for an airgun and get it to fit over the adapter for looks.

JonM 07-03-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyfan (Post 857785)
Anyone have any experience creating a blank firing adapter for the AR-15? I'm the weapons guy on a movie set and I'm thinking of a modifying a flash suppressor to allow the AR to fire and cycle blanks. I'm pretty sure it will not be difficult.
I tried looking up some but the training blank adapters they sell look awful.

Any tips?

take the flash suppressor off. get a solid steel disc 1/8-1/4 inch thick more the better and .44 inch in diameter. put that under the flash hider as a cap to cover the muzzle then screw on the muzzle device. the bore has to be blocked totally for a AR15 to cycle blanks. its easily removable for converting back to live ammo. just DO NOT FIRE LIVE AMMO WITH IT IN PLACE!!!!

this is for .223/5.56 ONLY!!!!! other rounds require some opening to function such as .308 7.62x39 7.62x51 and so on. if you totally plug a larger caliber it will go kaboom. 5.56 is the only one you can plug 100% and function correctly without a kaboom. DO NOT use this method with a PISTON DRIVEN ar15. this is for direct impinged gastube rifles ONLY!!!

blanks can kill up to 10yards away. its kinda how bruce lee's kid died accident with blanks and live ammo

be sure to check frequently while operating and keep the firearm WELL lubed with 30 weight motor oil as blanks are extremely dirty and will clog any gun.

check the disc frequently before each use look for bulges or cracks if present replace. it should be checked every 150-200 shots.

remember dont shoot it directly at a person because if any blank device fails it becomes a bullet. even the big red training adapters fail

indyfan 07-03-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 857873)
take the flash suppressor off. get a solid steel disc 1/8-1/4 inch thick more the better and .44 inch in diameter. put that under the flash hider as a cap to cover the muzzle then screw on the muzzle device. the bore has to be blocked totally for a AR15 to cycle blanks. its easily removable for converting back to live ammo. just DO NOT FIRE LIVE AMMO WITH IT IN PLACE!!!!

this is for .223/5.56 ONLY!!!!! other rounds require some opening to function such as .308 7.62x39 7.62x51 and so on. if you totally plug a larger caliber it will go kaboom. 5.56 is the only one you can plug 100% and function correctly without a kaboom. DO NOT use this method with a PISTON DRIVEN ar15. this is for direct impinged gastube rifles ONLY!!!

blanks can kill up to 10yards away. its kinda how bruce lee's kid died accident with blanks and live ammo

be sure to check frequently while operating and keep the firearm WELL lubed with 30 weight motor oil as blanks are extremely dirty and will clog any gun.

check the disc frequently before each use look for bulges or cracks if present replace. it should be checked every 150-200 shots.

remember dont shoot it directly at a person because if any blank device fails it becomes a bullet. even the big red training adapters fail

Thank you, Jon

fsted2a 07-05-2012 02:17 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but aren't there movie faux flash hiders that serve as blank adapters? As long as there have been movies featuring M16's and other military rifles, I would think the issue would have been worked out a long time ago.

JonM 07-05-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsted2a (Post 859843)
Pardon my ignorance, but aren't there movie faux flash hiders that serve as blank adapters? As long as there have been movies featuring M16's and other military rifles, I would think the issue would have been worked out a long time ago.

Yes but there isnt a gun locker in helliwood that all the movie makers get guns from. :D

MikeJK 07-05-2012 09:03 PM

disregard. Saw you're not wanting to see the adapter.