Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Couple questions on my new toy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 03:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Rem Oil is just oil. It isn't really a cleaning agent. I like to use Rem Oil just for the outer parts to make it all look purdy (spray and wipe). For the lube points on the functioning moving parts (check the stickie in the AR-15 sub-forum for how to lube your AR), I prefer Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil.

I think you got the answer above, but let me touch on your first question. The bolt locks back when you have an empty mag inserted, just like a slide locks open on a semi-auto pistol with an empty mag. Then the charging handle just slides back in by pushing it. The only spring in that part of the system is the recoil spring for the bolt.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-09-2011, 04:57 AM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborns View Post
... I plan on shooting it sunday so I need to do some research on how to site the red dot ...
I'm probably wrong, but I'm just saying, the way your setup looks in the pics, do you suppose you might need to raise your scope up about 3/8"? Looks like it would co-witness with the front iron site that way?

Old 09-09-2011, 05:01 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I think you're correct. Good eye, I never even noticed. It looks like the dot will be halfway up the FSP.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #14

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Several different sources for risers, here is one:
Search Results : YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. | Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors, Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors

YHM makes back up iron sites also, aka BUIS.

But make sure you check out other sources as well; this is a common thing for flat top ARs. Enjoy your new toy and make sure to give us a range report.

BTW, during your research if you run across the 25 meter military method for setting zero, remember this actually works out to about 84 feet target distance.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #15

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the info and the advice on the scope. I've never done this before, and need all the help I can get. I was also told that my castle nut on the butt is on backwards.

I'm still learning how to set up the scope and will take a look at how to raise it if it does need it.

Also, I keep reading about how bad "Tula" ammo is, but I bought Federal brand; is that Tula? I'm ok with needing to clean it after shooting so I can get familiar with that, but I don't want to do any damage.

Thanks

Old 09-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dborns View Post
Thanks for the info and the advice on the scope. I've never done this before, and need all the help I can get. I was also told that my castle nut on the butt is on backwards.

I'm still learning how to set up the scope and will take a look at how to raise it if it does need it.

Also, I keep reading about how bad "Tula" ammo is, but I bought Federal brand; is that Tula? I'm ok with needing to clean it after shooting so I can get familiar with that, but I don't want to do any damage.

Thanks
Some guys like to put the nut on backward. If it works run w/ it.

I'm not sure what type of base that optic has but ADM makes a good mount.

Tula is not Federal. Most of the negativity you hear on Tula is from guys who's rifles are out of spec or are just regurgitating what they've read on the internet. I use Tula when not at the indoor range or shooting a comp. I have never had a single problem w/ Tula.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:44 PM   #17

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Congrats and have fun at the range, But I think you should play with it a bit. thats right I said play with a gun, put all your ammo in a safe place, preferably in another room, double and triple check to make sure the rifle is clear (many accidents happen with an unloaded weapon) and just play with it. for instance, what happens when I do this? or this? so on and so forth. At Parris Island recruits are put through close order drill (parade ground routines) to get them accustomed to "willful immediate obedience to orders" and to get them used to handling their handy dandy new rifle. It's been almost 10 years ago but I seem to remember handling the rifle for about 2 months before even firing a shot. I only say this because you don't seem to know much about it and that's fine, because you obviously WANT to learn and it's a pretty easy weapon to learn. you already did the hardest thing in building it and you saw how easy that was. My grandad said to me "you should get to know her before you start with the fireworks"

Old 09-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #18

Likes Given: 1

Trip, your right, and I actually was thinking about leaving it at home and just going and working with my 9mm and .380. I haven't shot for about a year now, so I need to get reacquainted with them. I want to be more familiar with it before I load it with live ammo. I picked up some Mobil oil and wanted to go through and lube it up today, and play with it a little more.

As far as the sight, if its not adjustable up and down, I need to get some sort of riser for it? I've seen some AR's with an optical sight and flip sights on them. Is that for redundancy if your optical sight isn't working, or just personal preference?