Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Couple questions on my new toy (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/couple-questions-my-new-toy-47933/)

dborns 09-07-2011 10:10 PM

Couple questions on my new toy
 
So it took me a little longer than the 12 minute Youtube video I watched, but I finally got my AR put together. Here are some pics:
http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae210/dborns/012.jpg
http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae210/dborns/013.jpg
http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae210/dborns/014.jpg
http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/a...orns/015-1.jpg
Please keep in mind this is my first build, and just a basic AR. I already have some ideas of what I want to change.

For anyone thinking about doing this, its well worth it! I didn't build the upper, just the lower, and it was real easy. All I used was a short two part video off of youtube and printed instructions from AR15.com. I did launch two springs, but heard where they hit and was able to find them. I got to the Takedown pin and couldn't find the detent pin in my pile of parts. I was cussing the person that put the packet together when I noticed something in the end of the buffer retainer. It was the pin and it had some oil in it that kept the pin from falling out. All the parts where there, and went in pretty easy. The only "special" tools I used were a curved set of needle nose pliers, a small tack hammer, and a set of punches. I didn't have these, so $18 at HF bought all the tools I need.

One question I do have- Is it normal that when I pull the charging handle back, I have to push it back into place in the receiver? For some reason I was thinking they had a spring and would return back into the upper. Also after, pushing it back in, I have to hit the bolt catch to fire.

I've not fired this thing yet, so keep that in mind before you think thats a dumb question. I'm assuming it will work differently when there it is loaded.
Thanks!

FCross7 09-07-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dborns (Post 576520)
One question I do have- Is it normal that when I pull the charging handle back, I have to push it back into place in the receiver? For some reason I was thinking they had a spring and would return back into the upper. Also after, pushing it back in, I have to hit the bolt catch to fire.

If you have a magazine in the rifle, but no rounds in the magazine, then yes, you have to push the charging hand back in, and hit the bolt catch to release the bolt. If you have a loaded mag or no mag at all, then just pull the charging handle back and let her rip. The bolt will move forward into batter, pulling the charging hand with it.

-Fred

dborns 09-08-2011 12:37 AM

Ok, thanks. I figured things would work a little different when I had ammo in it. I plan on shooting it sunday so I need to do some research on how to site the red dot and what kind of ammo to practice with.
I also started looking at what I need to do for oiling parts; I bought some stuff called "Rem Oil" and used a small amount to put it together but I haven't done anything to the bolt or anything else. I've only used household oil on the barrel of my XD, whats the recommended grease or oil?
Thanks!

Gatoragn 09-08-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dborns (Post 576595)
I also started looking at what I need to do for oiling parts; I bought some stuff called "Rem Oil" and used a small amount to put it together but I haven't done anything to the bolt or anything else. I've only used household oil on the barrel of my XD, whats the recommended grease or oil?
Thanks!

Here you go:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/how-lube-your-ar-15-a-30881/?highlight=lube

dborns 09-08-2011 01:21 AM

Thanks for the link. I'll work on oiling it up tomorrow.

hockeyjr1 09-08-2011 05:53 AM

Good job on the first build..

On my rock river when you pull back the charging handle with no mag inside the gun it will let the bolt go forward and close the breach.. If there is an empty mag in it then yes the bolt will stay open and you push the charging handle forward till it clicks.. In order to lock it open without a nag you have to pull back the handle and push in the bolt release pin to keep it open.. I don't see this being an oil issue at all...

dborns 09-08-2011 12:05 PM

I wasn't thinking the charging handle issue was an oil problem, I just wanted to do get some info on where I needed to oil it for the maintenance.
Thank you!

hockeyjr1 09-08-2011 11:14 PM

My bad I failed to read all the posts lol

dborns 09-09-2011 12:19 AM

I was at WM today, and grabbed a box of Federal shells to practice with this weekend. I also looked for some grease to use to lubricate the bolt, and other places that I read about when I googled the issue. I didn't find any grease, but I bought some "Rem Oil", which is a spray but says it "cleans, lubricates, and protects". Is this something I can use to spray down the lube points?

nfafan 09-09-2011 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dborns (Post 577062)
I was at WM today, and grabbed a box of Federal shells to practice with this weekend. I also looked for some grease to use to lubricate the bolt, and other places that I read about when I googled the issue. I didn't find any grease, but I bought some "Rem Oil", which is a spray but says it "cleans, lubricates, and protects". Is this something I can use to spray down the lube points?

Sounds like it fits the bill of a "C-L-P" to me. Some folks have favorites, I just use whatever I have handy, MiliTec or whatever its called, Triflow, full-synth 5W30, some other stuff in a squeeze bottle that I can't recall, and some black grease - Lubriplate??. Whatever. Keep it lubed and clean.

Speaking of which; the "Tula" steel-cased .223 in Wallyworld - very dirty ammo. It'll make your chamber area look like you beat a charcoal briquette into place with a hammer. That and the cases are supposedly "polymer coated" - I think it feels "dry" to the touch as opposed to brass cased ammo.
Can't hurt to try a box to see for yourself.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:37 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.