couple questions for the guru's - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > couple questions for the guru's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Its best to leave gas system components together with the gas system they were intended for. Swapping components changes timing. Remember gas pressures between different systems are really different (between rifle lengths systems and carbine/mid length systems). While most of the time swapping components will work, you may run into cycling issues.

If you swap out the complete receiver extension/tube assembly, it will interchange. By complete I mean the extension/tube, spring, buffer, and end plate.

Your rifle will not cycle correctly if you start mixing components of the reciever extension tube. IE putting a rifle buffer into a carbine tube, putting a carbine spring in a rifle tube, or putting a rifle spring into a carbine tube.

The rifle springs are longer than a carbine. The rifle buffer is longer than a carbine. The rifle buffer is heavier than a carbine. The spring rates are different between a standard rifle and carbine spring. Rifle tubes are longer than carbine.

So, as I said, its best to keep the components with the gas system they were designed for. It is possible to switch complete extension/tube assemblies, but it will change your timing. If you want to start playing with your timing, I would first start out with the original, test it make sure it works in all situations, then start swapping out components (spring rates and buffer weights). The worst thing you can do is start swapping out components before even getting your rifle up and running. Start with stock, standard components as a base, then change later.
I think at least we are all agreed on one aspect: keep the buffer/tube/spring assembly together (don't put rifle buffer or spring in carbine tube or vice versa).
I still can't see any timing issues, as the actual travel (the distance from the plastic end of the buffer to the end of the tube) is identical between milspec rifle and carbines. I can't say what non milspec is. The spring tensile strength between manufacturers may be different, but if the firearm is put together right, and there are no defective parts, the shooter shouldn't notice a difference. That being said, there is crap for parts out there, so there is a reason for concern in that area. I have been putting AR's together for a few years, so I would feel comfortable in putting a carbine buttstock assembly on a 20-24 inch rifle, or an A2 buttstock assembly on a 16 inch carbine. Would I trust it if some joe off the street put it together- Hell no.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #12

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

I run a 16" carbine length gas upper with both an A2 and ACE skeleton stock, rifle length tube, spring and buffer. Never had an issue...recoil is harsher but function is fine.

I do see, however, where a carbine spring in the rifle length tube could "over travel" the bolt and slam the gas key into the receiver.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
I run a 16" carbine length gas upper with both an A2 and ACE skeleton stock, rifle length tube, spring and buffer. Never had an issue...recoil is harsher but function is fine.

I do see, however, where a carbine spring in the rifle length tube could "over travel" the bolt and slam the gas key into the receiver.
Holey cow batman!! I don't wanna be around for that
Seriously, even though it is a bad idea to mismatch the buffer and tube like that, the worst I see happening is the BCG getting stuck in between the buffer tube and receiver. But I have yet to see anyone say it was a good idea to mismatch the buffer/tube/spring assembly. I think this thread has gone way off course, and I am to blame. I apologize to the OP for this.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #14

Liked 4983 Times on 2413 Posts
Likes Given: 1586

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
You cant use a carbine spring and buffer in a fullsize tube. The carbine buffer is shorter but the same weight as a rifle buffer. If you use a carbine buffer in a rifle tube its a good chance the bcg will lockup inside the buffer tube. Seen it done before. Buffer and springs arent expensive less than 20$ for both. So if you change to rifle length its not a huge deal

Whether a business will ship to you in ny??? best to contact whom your buying from. Too many companies for me to lookup.

The reason collapsables exist is for the military troops using body armor can use the same rifle and adjust it in and out when they arent using the armour. Keeps the same length of pull.

Unless your going to use body armor on occasion pinning the stock in one place isnt a huge detriment to functionality other than the hit to your personal freedom.
It would be a hit to small statured shooters like my kids... Thank god the AWB expired in 04 and WA State never adopted it's own version. Going to the adjustable stock made it much safer for my "then" 12 YO son and 9 YO daughter to handle my AR.

Tack

Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
It would be a hit to small statured shooters like my kids... Thank god the AWB expired in 04 and WA State never adopted it's own version. Going to the adjustable stock made it much safer for my "then" 12 YO son and 9 YO daughter to handle my AR.

Tack
For those in the Ban states, a shorty buttstock is an option. It has the same buttstock length as a completely collapsed carbine. Just no tacticool look. Feels a lot more solid to me.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #16

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Ace also makes a short entry length lightweight Tube and stock. I'd imagine it'd be an interesting choice to consider for you Tackleberry.