couple questions for the guru's
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > couple questions for the guru's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1136 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Default couple questions for the guru's

building a lower for stag upper, 16 '' barrel. as far as the stock goes for the lower. i know it has to be carbine buffer and spring for the gas system. and i know NY the stock must be pinned. is it possible to order a stock and have it shipped? do i have to go to the LGS or gun show? i was hoping to get the magpul MOE.

is it possible to run a carbine buffer n spring in a fullsize stock if the need arises?

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

nothing eh?

of a grieving mother

Old 07-23-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5514 Times on 2880 Posts
Likes Given: 358

You cant use a carbine spring and buffer in a fullsize tube. The carbine buffer is shorter but the same weight as a rifle buffer. If you use a carbine buffer in a rifle tube its a good chance the bcg will lockup inside the buffer tube. Seen it done before. Buffer and springs arent expensive less than 20$ for both. So if you change to rifle length its not a huge deal

Whether a business will ship to you in ny??? best to contact whom your buying from. Too many companies for me to lookup.

The reason collapsables exist is for the military troops using body armor can use the same rifle and adjust it in and out when they arent using the armour. Keeps the same length of pull.

Unless your going to use body armor on occasion pinning the stock in one place isnt a huge detriment to functionality other than the hit to your personal freedom.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-23-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #4

Liked 215 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
building a lower for stag upper, 16 '' barrel. as far as the stock goes for the lower. i know it has to be carbine buffer and spring for the gas system. and i know NY the stock must be pinned.is it possible to run a carbine buffer n spring in a fullsize stock if the need arises?
Like Jon said, if you use a carbine stock, use the carbine buffer. However, the barrel length has nothing to do mechanically with what type stock you use. Legal wise, is a question for someone other than me. You can use an A1 rifle stock with a 16" barrel. Just make sure you have the correct buffer for the size stock.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Not quite sure what a full size tube is but its best to keep rifle gas system components together.

Carbine and mid lengthgas systrms use carbine components.

Don't mix and match components bewteen the two systems.

Most rifle system/length tubes are non adjustable. There are rife system that have provisions for adjustible stocks.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

You can order any stock you want online and have it sent to NY. Just keep it legal.

Buffers and spring come with the stock...not sure why you'd want to use a different one.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:09 PM   #7

Liked 215 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Not quite sure what a full size tube is but its best to keep rifle gas system components together.

Why? the length of buffer travel will be the same. I have done it before with no problems. You can swap a carbine lower with a 20-24 inch barrelled upper with no problem. You just need to have the correct buffer for the tube. If you have a carbine tube, the buffer needs to be the carbine buffer as it is shorter. The BCG needs to go the length of the mag well, no more, no less. The barrel length has no consideration in this matter.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
You cant use a carbine spring and buffer in a fullsize tube. The carbine buffer is shorter but the same weight as a rifle buffer. If you use a carbine buffer in a rifle tube its a good chance the bcg will lockup inside the buffer tube. Seen it done before. Buffer and springs arent expensive less than 20$ for both. So if you change to rifle length its not a huge deal

Whether a business will ship to you in ny??? best to contact whom your buying from. Too many companies for me to lookup.

The reason collapsables exist is for the military troops using body armor can use the same rifle and adjust it in and out when they arent using the armour. Keeps the same length of pull.

Unless your going to use body armor on occasion pinning the stock in one place isnt a huge detriment to functionality other than the hit to your personal freedom.
Quote:

Most rifle system/length tubes are non adjustable. There are rife system that have provisions for adjustible stocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
You can order any stock you want online and have it sent to NY. Just keep it legal.

Buffers and spring come with the stock...not sure why you'd want to use a different one.
thanks all. i wasnt looking for functionally of the stock. i know it has to be pinned in NYS. i merely wanted a certain style. and was looking to see if i could order it. but the second part of my question was just incase i could not get that style. i wanted to know what the possibilies were. so it looks like i'll be buying my moe, pinning it when it arrives. and going on with my day... oh and i always change the buffers and springs. lol.. change it to these. heavybuffers.com
of a grieving mother

Old 07-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Why? the length of buffer travel will be the same. I have done it before with no problems. You can swap a carbine lower with a 20-24 inch barrelled upper with no problem. You just need to have the correct buffer for the tube. If you have a carbine tube, the buffer needs to be the carbine buffer as it is shorter. The BCG needs to go the length of the mag well, no more, no less. The barrel length has no consideration in this matter.
Its best to leave gas system components together with the gas system they were intended for. Swapping components changes timing. Remember gas pressures between different systems are really different (between rifle lengths systems and carbine/mid length systems). While most of the time swapping components will work, you may run into cycling issues.

If you swap out the complete receiver extension/tube assembly, it will interchange. By complete I mean the extension/tube, spring, buffer, and end plate.

Your rifle will not cycle correctly if you start mixing components of the reciever extension tube. IE putting a rifle buffer into a carbine tube, putting a carbine spring in a rifle tube, or putting a rifle spring into a carbine tube.

The rifle springs are longer than a carbine. The rifle buffer is longer than a carbine. The rifle buffer is heavier than a carbine. The spring rates are different between a standard rifle and carbine spring. Rifle tubes are longer than carbine.

So, as I said, its best to keep the components with the gas system they were designed for. It is possible to switch complete extension/tube assemblies, but it will change your timing. If you want to start playing with your timing, I would first start out with the original, test it make sure it works in all situations, then start swapping out components (spring rates and buffer weights). The worst thing you can do is start swapping out components before even getting your rifle up and running. Start with stock, standard components as a base, then change later.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:

To clarify, don't mix and match components of the receiver extension/tubes. Use Rifle springs and buffers in rifle tubes. Use carbine spring and buffers in carbine tube.