Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > A couple questions about building your own AR-15 (caution: i'm clueless)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

WAIT!!!!!

Did you guys see any reference to an FFL on the Amazon.com link? It doesn't say anything about going through an FFL. Has anyone actually purchased a lower from Amazon? I thought they had certain self-imposed limits on what firearms parts they would sell.

Without knowing more, something looks really weird. Not fraudulent weird, just something's a-changing over at Amazon kind of weird.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
I agree about the price, like i said it was only because i have amazon certificate i want to spend, but i shouldn't act like the amazon $ isn't equivalent to regular cash. So i'm going to research building my own lower receiver, would anything be FFL required?
You do need to have the stripped lower send to an FFL as well because that is the part that has your gun Serial Number and need to be register. It isn't that bad. you can use GunBroker to find all the FLL in your area.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #23

Liked 927 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 906

Quote:
... So i'm going to research building my own lower receiver, would anything be FFL required? ...
Yes, as said before the lower, even a stripped lower will have to be shipped or purchased from a FFL. A face-to-face background check is necessary at your FFL.

The only way around this would be a F2F purchase from an individual. Or to buy an 80% lower then do the necessary machining yourself (no one else can do it for you). Unless you have the proper equipment and skill, don't even consider this option. And don't expect a machine shop to it for you, anyone in the shop with a brain does not want this kind of trouble.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan87us View Post
You do need to have the stripped lower send to an FFL as well because that is the part that has your gun Serial Number and need to be register. It isn't that bad. you can use GunBroker to find all the FLL in your area.
Yes, but that's not if it was a private transaction in PA, the two amazon links provide 3 sellers for the parts, i'm on my iPod so i can't check but i was sort of thinking the amazon seller was going to mail to my house and leave the lower receiver registered in his name (private?) or in his gun shop, along with my details incase LEO came knocking.

Old 07-22-2011, 03:17 AM   #25

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Yes, but that's not if it was a private transaction in PA, the two amazon links provide 3 sellers for the parts, i'm on my iPod so i can't check but i was sort of thinking the amazon seller was going to mail to my house and leave the lower receiver registered in his name (private?) or in his gun shop, along with my details incase LEO came knocking.
?? You think he is going to give you a lower receiver but not complete the paperwork required by Federal law...that will land both of you in a Federal prison for a long time. If someone on Amazon is promising to sell you a firearm "under the table," run away as fast as you can. Aside from the obvious legal jeopardy the risk that you will receive nothing for your money and the seller will never be heard from again is extremely high. Just how is a transaction that takes place on Amazon.com a private transaction?

Just to repeat, every transfer of a firearm, the lower in this case, that does not take place in an actual face to face, mano e mano, transaction needs a FFL, a background check and a BATF Form 4473...anything else is just illegal, and in my opinion just plain dumb.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-22-2011, 05:28 AM   #26

Liked 927 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 906

How old are you Corey?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 998 Times on 587 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Quote:
The private sale "exception"(not sure the correct word) only applies to non dealers. He would have a hard time proving he's not a dealer when he is advertising on Amazon. Attempting to circumvent the existing rules is a stupid idea that could have severe consequences. If an FFL offered to sell me a lower "off the books" I would never do business with them again. If there willing to break the law, there more than willing to screw over a customer. Also there probably part of operation Fast and Furious (I'm only half joking).

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #28

Like everyone said Corey. No one will sell you a serialized firearm without transferring the ownership to you. IF (hypothetically speaking) you or someone use that gun in a criminal activity they would be in deep crap. Even if I was to deal privately I would still write a "Bill of Sale" I don't want someone else to be using a highly dangerous weapon with my name attached to that weapon. Use GunBroker to find out who you can use as your FFL in your area. Paying $20-$30 to make sure your transaction is legal definitely worths it.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
?? You think he is going to give you a lower receiver but not complete the paperwork required by Federal law...that will land both of you in a Federal prison for a long time. If someone on Amazon is promising to sell you a firearm "under the table," run away as fast as you can. Aside from the obvious legal jeopardy the risk that you will receive nothing for your money and the seller will never be heard from again is extremely high. Just how is a transaction that takes place on Amazon.com a private transaction?

Just to repeat, every transfer of a firearm, the lower in this case, that does not take place in an actual face to face, mano e mano, transaction needs a FFL, a background check and a BATF Form 4473...anything else is just illegal, and in my opinion just plain dumb.
I'm "thinking" about the offer i stumbled upon them and am curious. From other research i've found that:

Quote:
Q: May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.{emphasis added}
Quote:
Q: To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA?

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law.
-ATF

What federal laws are you guts referring too? In PA it is NOT illegal to own unregistered long guns, in PA it is NOT illegal to mail a long gun and have it remain registered or in the old name, with maybe digital scan of ID.

The the member who asked my age I'm 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
The private sale "exception"(not sure the correct word) only applies to non dealers. He would have a hard time proving he's not a dealer when he is advertising on Amazon. Attempting to circumvent the existing rules is a stupid idea that could have severe consequences. If an FFL offered to sell me a lower "off the books" I would never do business with them again. If there willing to break the law, there more than willing to screw over a customer. Also there probably part of operation Fast and Furious (I'm only half joking).

Thanks for the input, you're right it only works if he's didn't have a license, since he does, he's (i'm not forsue but common sense) required to add the information in some kind of database... lol operation Fast & Furious, at least i could get away with using it a few hundred times before the ATF makes any arrests or progress.

Last edited by Corey; 07-22-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Look up Ruby Ridge. The ATF killed Randy Weaver's wife, son & dog over 1/4" of shotgun barrel. Those dudes don't mess around and you shouldn't think you can fool with them.

Get a FFL to sell you a AR lower legally, the deal OTH will be around $65 to $110, then you'll rest well knowing that the knock on the door isn't the ATF coming to haul your butt off to the Federal slammer.