Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > A couple questions about building your own AR-15 (caution: i'm clueless)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

The upper can and will be shipped to your home address BUT......the lower MUST be shipped to a FFL Federal Firearms Licensed dealer of your choice.

This is not a state thing, it's federal law. The lower must be transferred to the new owner via federal paperwork. It would be different if you were buying face to face in PA or from a gun shop.

You need to find a FFL in your area to do the transfer.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1101 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 630

as i have recently learned from exprience. the only part that needs to be shipped via ffl is the lower. as that has the serial numbers. all other parts should be mail able

Old 07-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1160 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Now my main concern is how this amazon seller would sell both of those, if it'd have to be FFL or not, i'm in PA, if anybody has an amazon account and could send the person a message and get a reply, i think he's ignoring me because my account name is "barrack obama" (16 years old don't ask) and i'm asking about how he's shipping it. If someone could message both company on my links and see what is required for them to ship to PA as far as FFL, registration, signature delivery, etc, i'd gladly buy you something small off amazon like a few speedloaders. Let me know.
There is a difference between a Federal background check and registering a firearm. The Feds require a background check before you take possession of the firearm to verify you are eligible to complete the purchase legally. The dealer is responsible for keeping records of whom they sell to and accurately track the inventory of the guns they stock/sell. The state you reside may have additional requirements concerning certain firearms, e.g. handgun registration.

Find a local gun shop and ask them how interstate transfer of firearms works in PA. I believe (don't know for sure) that it is the interstate part that kicks in the Federal rules requiring the FFL to be a part of the transaction in your state. I doubt there are any exceptions to this rule.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Look into BCM. For just over $500 you can have one of the best uppers in the biz. Then pirchase one of their blem lowers for undee $300. It cant be beat, price or quality.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 PM   #15

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Instate or interstate doesn't matter. Every purchase from a FFL needs a NICS, there are no loopholes or exceptions despite what is in the papers. Only time no NICS is required is in a face-to-face transaction between residents of the same state within that state, subject of course to local requirements.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #16

The pictures look like an M&P15A upper and a standard lower. You can buy the complete rifle, with removable flip up rear sight, online for under $1,000. Bud's has it for $994.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #17

Liked 1037 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Also, i live in PA,
Where abouts in PA?

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 07-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5308 Times on 2772 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Instate or interstate doesn't matter. Every purchase from a FFL needs a NICS, there are no loopholes or exceptions despite what is in the papers. Only time no NICS is required is in a face-to-face transaction between residents of the same state within that state, subject of course to local requirements.
true and any wise face to face seller would still make the buyer go through a ffl transfer, but thats on the seller

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-21-2011, 12:59 AM   #19

You need an FFL to transfer the lower only. Now I would suggest you build your own lower receiver that will save you a tons and you'll actually get much better customization out of it. It isn't hard at all. All you need is a pair of plier and some reading/follow instruction skill. I saved about $150 from building my own lower receiver. And mine has MOE furniture.

For upper that one is Very overpriced like everyone else said. You can get a NICE BCM upper receiver for that price. Not saying S&W is bad but that upper receiver doesn't worth over $700.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by luan87us View Post
You need an FFL to transfer the lower only. Now I would suggest you build your own lower receiver that will save you a tons and you'll actually get much better customization out of it. It isn't hard at all. All you need is a pair of plier and some reading/follow instruction skill. I saved about $150 from building my own lower receiver. And mine has MOE furniture.

For upper that one is Very overpriced like everyone else said. You can get a NICE BCM upper receiver for that price. Not saying S&W is bad but that upper receiver doesn't worth over $700.
I agree about the price, like i said it was only because i have amazon certificate i want to spend, but i shouldn't act like the amazon $ isn't equivalent to regular cash. So i'm going to research building my own lower receiver, would anything be FFL required?

Quote:
Where abouts in PA?
Northwest, an hour from Ohio and NY borders.

Quote:

The upper can and will be shipped to your home address BUT......the lower MUST be shipped to a FFL Federal Firearms Licensed dealer of your choice.
I see now, the amazon seller just made it seem very possible, i guess they'd process the order then now ship it and take my money for a while.